• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When should I give my 4 month old food?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:40 PM
  • 18 Replies

I exclusively breastfeed and I went to the doc today and they told me I should give my 4 month old rice cereal, because he will not have enough iron... can't they test iron levels (I should have asked)? They said I shouldn't give him fruits or veggies before 6 months because of food allergies. What's the low down? What did everyone else do?

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Barb on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:46 PM

I gave the babies a vitamin supplement that contained iron. Does rice cereal contain iron? 4 months seems early to me to give cereal, but your doctor should know.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:47 PM

that is complete and utter BS......  The breastmilk will take what the baby needs from your body just as it did when you were pregnant.  We gave her tastes of rice cereal and various veggies about 4 mo old bc i was an exclusive nurser as well and wasnt able to pump enough for others to give her a bottle.  It really is up to you when you start but one thing you look at is how their tongue reacts.  If the tongue pushes the food back out of mouth it usually means the baby isnt ready for solid foods.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:48 PM

PS  DD was tested through wic for iron, it was a simple heel prick onto a strip similar to those that are used for diabetes but it was a blood iron monitor.

slm047
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:51 PM

They gave me vitamins for my girls. It is suggested to start cereal at 6 months. 

Babyshoe
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:28 PM

I began cereal at 4 months, but my dd still had low iron when they tested her at 1 year. It was helpful for my dd's reflux and the decision to give it to her was supported by the doctor. At 1 year, when blood results came back low in iron, I began giving her vitamin w/iron drops. GL on whatever  you decide!

mamakenzi
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:30 PM
I started DD on cereal at 4 months and food at 6. I would get a second opinion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jridgill
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:31 PM
We don't give cereal at all. Personally, if our doctor told me that I would find a new one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SoniaL
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Quoting jridgill:

We don't give cereal at all. Personally, if our doctor told me that I would find a new one.

http://leangreenmommy.wordpress.com/

momma2b2008
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:35 PM
We started cerel at 4 months and my daughter is happy and healthly and has no food allergies! Oh and she will eat anything you put in front of her!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bethbeth
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:37 PM

The AAP recommends waiting until 6 months for solids. 

There's nothing nutritious about rice cereal. You don't need to use it now or ever. 

I like using wholesomebabyfoods.com for info.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)