• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Newbie here! Need advice about moving to a new town with kids:)

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:28 AM
  • 5 Replies

I am a stay at home mother of two girls ( ages 9 and 13) and we have just moved to a new town. Long story short, I homeschooled my girls until two years ago when I had to go back to work. I put them in the local public school where I went to work as an aide. Two years later ( when we had just finally got adjusted) my husband"s job transferred him and we had to move. Leaving our home of 20 years has not been easy, moving to a town with a violent public school system has been unbearable . So, here we are back to homeschooling ( FLVS), and myself jobless. My problem is,  I need an income but have no family here to babysit and can't put my girls in public school. Any ideas? Thanks Ladies!

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Yahooligans
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:37 AM

Have you looked into charter schools? Could you find a job what offsets your husband's? Teach the kids when he is gone, then go to work whenever that is? It would be hard but it would keep them out of PS

TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:31 PM

What about a work from home option, or some kind of personal sales?  (i.e. Mary Kay, Avon, Thirty One, Pampered Chef, Tupperware, anything else...)

MsAntoine
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Charter Schools, and you can also look into scholarships for Private Schools you may have to pay nothing or just a percentage of the tuition.........wishing u the best of luck

december911
by Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Where are you located? If you are near a naval base, you can apply with them to be a CHD, which is an in home daycare provider. You have to get cpr certified and such, but you will be listed through the navy, for military children only, and get paid decently. Even if the military family qualifies for lower daycare costs, you will be compensated based on a set amount. I was paying 100 a week for two kids, but the lady was making almost 300 total just on my two a week...

mom2the.rescue
by Member on Nov. 10, 2011 at 8:10 AM

I'd also look into the charter schools, a school of choice in a neighboring community, and scholarships for private school.  My boys used to go to private schools, and every February (so if that's an option for you, call the local private schools like now to ask about those forms) it was time to fill out scholarship forms for the following year.  A major pain, but it allowed us to send them to a better school where we lived at the time.  Depending on your income, these can pay like 75% of tuition.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)