Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stop it right now!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:19 PM
  • 20 Replies

My daughter, who is almost 3, keeps biting herself. She has bit herself hard enough to leave marks that last days. I dont know why. Sometimes she does it because I get on to her but the other day she was in her room playing by herself and I noticed a bite mark when she came out. She has excellent language skills and knows how to express her feelings she is always telling me if I make her sad happy mad and why. I just cant figure it out. I know it has to hurt her and I am afraid to take her in public because of it. 

I have tried explaining to her that she shouldnt bite herself or others and she says she knows but she still does it. It started about a month or 2 ago. This is not a learned behavior like so many of her other bad habits because no one I know has kids that do this.

I am at a loss and really need advice on how to get her to stop.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Barb on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Give her something else to bite on-  a little stuffed animal that is washable, perhaps, or... maybe (please don't be offended) a dog rubber chew bone- something that has a bit of give when bitten into but won't be easily damaged.  Don't react with dismay or alarm when she bites, on the possibility that she likes the attention.  Stay calm. Tell her that it would be better if she bites on whatever you decide is a good alternative because she could cause infection if she bites herself.  It probably would also be a good idea to mention the habit to the pediatrician next time she goes.

Rockabye
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:41 PM

It isnt the attention because she does it even if no one is around and doesnt tell me when she bites herself. As for the items to bite I tried that. I told her she should bite on a stuffed toy she has when she wants to bite something but she wont. I asked her why she does it and she just told that she didnt know. I plan to bring it up to her dr when we go in for her 3 year checkup if it hasnt been resolved before then but I am hoping I can resolve it first

Quoting Bmat:

Give her something else to bite on-  a little stuffed animal that is washable, perhaps, or... maybe (please don't be offended) a dog rubber chew bone- something that has a bit of give when bitten into but won't be easily damaged.  Don't react with dismay or alarm when she bites, on the possibility that she likes the attention.  Stay calm. Tell her that it would be better if she bites on whatever you decide is a good alternative because she could cause infection if she bites herself.  It probably would also be a good idea to mention the habit to the pediatrician next time she goes.

Bmat
by Barb on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:44 PM

How about if you put a gauze wrap on her arm and tell her if she wants to bite herself then do it only where the wrap is. This might help her realize she is doing it and help her stop?

Bmat
by Barb on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:46 PM

This idea is kind of out there, but maybe get one of those bite guards such as they use in sports, mold it to her teeth (it is easy to do, I think when I used one for my sons I just stuck it in boiling water, let it cool a bit and fitted it)  and let her wear that on her top teeth- it could be another reminder for her.

Jamie1972
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:49 PM
What has changed in the last couple of months? She could be stressed but doesnt know how to say it. I mean she may not understand the feelings she has and thats y she not vocalizing them to you like she has in the past. Other then that idk momma.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rockabye
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Quoting Jamie1972:

What has changed in the last couple of months? She could be stressed but doesnt know how to say it. I mean she may not understand the feelings she has and thats y she not vocalizing them to you like she has in the past. Other then that idk momma.

As far as I know nothing has changed and I am with her almost 24/7. 

Rockabye
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Quoting Bmat:

How about if you put a gauze wrap on her arm and tell her if she wants to bite herself then do it only where the wrap is. This might help her realize she is doing it and help her stop?

I dont think that would work because she is old enough to take it off but to young to understand what its there for. As for the mouth guard I would be scared she would choke on it

SWasson
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Why don't you take her to the doctor and ask her pediatrician about it?  If the ped hasn't had a patient that's done this before, at least he/she can consult their colleagues and do some research to help you figure out what to do next.

lylaschild
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:49 PM

This sounds like anxiety to me. My son did something like this for awhile. But his was hair twirling. He would twist his hair so much he would twist it out of his head and have bald spots all over his head. Its hard at that age to really tell what they are anxious or stressed about. And they dont know themselfs.  My son finally stopped doing this. I would just say Brenden stop twisting ur hair if i caught him doing it. He didnt realize he was doing it.  I would defanatly talk to her doctor thou. I wouldnt wait till her check up. call and make an appointment!!

Rockabye
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:23 PM

If it was anxiety wouldn't she show other symptoms? I know adult anxiety usually has alot of signs of it but I have never seen a toddler with anxiety except when I stayed in a childrens mental ward. What could have caused the anxiety? I am scared to make an appointment because she has alot of bruises and the bite marks and I dont think the dr would mistake her little teeth marks for an adults but I am afraid he will have to call cps on me for the bruises. They are just clumsy toddler bruises but she has so many and they are all over.....

Quoting lylaschild:

This sounds like anxiety to me. My son did something like this for awhile. But his was hair twirling. He would twist his hair so much he would twist it out of his head and have bald spots all over his head. Its hard at that age to really tell what they are anxious or stressed about. And they dont know themselfs.  My son finally stopped doing this. I would just say Brenden stop twisting ur hair if i caught him doing it. He didnt realize he was doing it.  I would defanatly talk to her doctor thou. I wouldnt wait till her check up. call and make an appointment!!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)