Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting a puppy? Got a dog that needs better manners? Get expert advice! UPDATED with WINNERS!

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:20 PM
  • 249 Replies
3 moms liked this

Join me in congratulating the winners of Jolanta Benal's book!

Thinking about getting the kiddos a puppy for the holidays? Got a dog that needs to learn better manners? Our expert is here to help you!

Jolanta Benal, dog training expert and author of The Dog Trainer's Complete Guide to a Happy Well-Behaved Pet will be here all next week to provide advice on getting and caring for a dog, chat about obedience basics, and answer all YOUR dog training questions! Plus, you could win a copy of Jolanta's book!

Please post your questions as replies to this post. Jolanta will post her answers here as well.

3 lucky moms will win a copy of The Dog Trainer's Complete Guide to a Happy Well-Behaved Pet!

The Official Rules
To enter the this contest, reply to this post. Click on the 'reply to post' button at the top (or bottom) of that post. When the text box opens, add your reply. Once you've added your reply, click on the "Add Reply' button.

Posts must be made between Wednesday November 9, 2011 at 1:00 pm EST and Sunday November 20, 2011 at 11:59 pm EST.  

• This contest will end on Sunday November 20, 2011 at 11:59 pm EST. 
  • Three winners will be selected randomly.
  • The winners will be posted on this thread and will be notified via CafeMom PM.
  • Multiple replies are allowed and will increase your chances of winning.
  • Prizes are only available to members who live in the US or Canada (excluding Quebec).
  • Prizes must be claimed within 10 days of notice of winning.
  • Three winners will each receive a copy of "The Dog Trainer's Complete Guide to a Happy, Well-Behaved Pet" by Jolanta Benal
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elaine3366
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:34 PM

PLEASE I AM IN NEED OF SOME HELP I HAVE TWO DOG S AND LOVE THEM BOTH VERY MUCH A CHOW CHOW AND A CHOCLATE LAB THAT IS A YEAR OLD AND VERY ACTIVE JUST ALL OF SUDDEN THEY GOT IN A FIGHT AND NOW I HAVE TO KEEP THEM SEPERATED CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME OR LET ME KNOW WHAT CAN BE DONE I HAVE TRYED TO TRAIN ON MY OWN BUT NOT DOING TO GOOD ......HELP  THANK YOU ELAINE LANDRY

drbingham1959
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:45 PM

We have 3 chihuahuas, now they are known for their excessive activity, very hyper, and very loving, but we have a problem that everytime there is a noise or siren or even kids on tv talking, she just barks like crazy, I know this can be a good thing in case there is ever a need for barking, say a stranger walks up or what not, but to just bark at everything outside and kids on tv? is there anything to make her diferentiate the barking to what she really needs to bark about than just everything in general?

mommyof2girls76
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:17 PM

We just adopted a 3 year old boxer.  She is a great dog and came from a really good home.  Her owners were moving and there would be no place for her run.  I figured at this age she would listen better than she does.  She begs ALOT and will run away from us if she gets out the front door.  We are trying to teach her not to run and to stop begging but it isn't working, please help!!

shortnsweet121
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:02 PM

angel miniWOULD LOVE, LOVE, LOVE TO WIN THE BOOK.   MY SISTER IS RECOPERATING FROM CANCER SURGERY AND GETTING HER FIRST PUPPY IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS AND I AM SURE SHE COULD USE IT  :o)

jabs54
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:43 PM

I'm reading all I can.  I'd love to win the book.  We rescued a dog and the first few months were great.  Now she growls and snaps at everyone.  She's wonderful with me and my dh and dd but I have a daycare and I have to keep her in the kitchen during the day and can't take her out in public anymore :(

wolfmate5748
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:25 PM

I need help with my pug.  He is a year old and pees on my bed and pillows.  I don't understand why he does this, we take him out every two hours and he also sleeps on our bed.  I thought a dog would not go where he sleeps, well this guys goes where ever he wants.   How can I get him to stop this behavior?

bbmkfo03
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 12:00 AM

I have a 3 year old Bullmastiff, about 100lbs. He is terrible on the leash for me so much that I can't walk him anymore. He pulls me and won't listen to my commands. All he wants to do is run but I physically can't run (he pulled me so hard once I had back pain for days). But after a few minutes of walking/running he gets tired and then walks like a perfect dog. It's like I need to tire him out before taking a walk but I don't know how to do that. Otherwise he's not very active, he does run around our backyard almost everyday (some days he's just lazy) but on a leash he's terrible!

When my DH is home he runs with the dog until he's tired then I walk him the rest of the way. My DH now travels for work and I can't walk the dog and push the baby in the stroller by myself. My dream was to always have this wonderful big dog walking by my side while I push the baby but I can't hold on to both :(   I read that bigger breeds like his may not need to be walked, that a run around the backyard would be fine. Am I doing a huge diservice to my dog by not walking him? He's healthy and not overweight but I feel so guilty.

Katenemsmom
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 12:05 AM
I have a 3 year-old beagle. She is a great dog. Very well behaved. She can sit, shake, lay down, and obey's commands like go to bed which means go to your crate. However, we can't get her to walk on a leash. It's like we are battling her natural instinct to smell. How can I keep her nose off the ground and focused on walking?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bbmkfo03
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 12:09 AM

Is it true that once a dog kills another animal that they will want to continue to hunt down more animals to kill? A friend of my DH's has 3 large breed dogs (all 3 live outside, no formal training) and they got out of their pens and killed a calf on their farm. Now she's thinking she has to get rid of them b/c she's afraid they will attack other animals or worse her kids. My thought is that it's not the dogs fault. They were not domesticated to begin with so they were acting on their instincts (like a wild animal would) and that with lots of training they could become great dogs. What do you think? Can these dogs be helped or is it too late? One dog is 5 years old and the other two are 2 years old.

jessecutez
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 12:20 AM
1 mom liked this

i have a 5 year old chiwawa she is always growling and biting people(even family) the only one sh RARELY bites is my husband. She has been doing this for a while how can i get herto stop?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)