Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

epidural scare!

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:26 PM
  • 41 Replies

So I'm Kate and I'm 19, and 14 weeks pregnant with my adorable baby boy.
I'm scared to give birth cause of the horrible pain stories I've heard as well as what I've heard about taking an epidural.

My boyfriends mom had 4 kids and didn't use it once because she said she heard that it causes a lot of back problems. His sister has 3 kids and she was just telling me the other day how bad her back was hurting and it was due to the epidural because she never had bad back problems before it.

A friend of mine on the other hand has 2 kids and she said that when she took it she couldn't feel anything from her belly button down so it made birth a lot easier and she hasn't had any problems.

I'm just really concerned. I have really bad back problems as it is and my belly hasn't fully "popped" yet so I can only imagen what the epidural could do to me. I don't know, maybe I'm just over reacting but please ladies help me figure out if I should use the epidural or not.

my baby boy at 14 weeks in my belly

me and my boyfriend

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MaverickMama
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:30 PM
I had one with both my boys and never had any problems. Everyone i know who has had one never had problems with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Butterflysky_24
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Back problems are one of those things that "can" happen but it doesn't always. I had an epidural and never have back problems at all. I never could have had a natural birth cuz the second my contractions started I was crying and screaming. I can't take pain. The epidural needle "can" hurt but doesn't always. U can discuss it with ur dr. U may get into labor and see how bad it hurts and beg for an epidural and there's nothing wrong with that. Good luck and congrats!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:32 PM

I don't know anyone who has had problems. Express your concerns to your OB - they probably can set your mind at rest or suggest alternatives.

Iluvjandkplus8
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:33 PM
I chose to have an epidural with both. With my first son, it only took on half of my body. The second time with my youngest son was perfect. The epidural took and I had a great delivery. I've had not back issues. Good luck!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aamy
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:35 PM
I have had 2 kids both with a epidural, no back issues from the epidural.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katzmeow726
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Once ina  while, if I turn the wrong way, or turn to fast I will get a quick twinge where I had my spinal block.  It's not constant.  It will hurt for a few seconds, then fade away.  And it really doesn't happen all that often.

mrs_smiph
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I've never had an epidural. I birthed naturally and was fine. We're planning a home birth next month for DD2.

There are other options besides an epidural if you want drugs. Talk to your healthcare provider about it.

megan479
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:38 PM
I had an epi with my first. it worked well...lily dudnt what it was supposed to. I did have lingering back pain for a couple of months afterward. That is very common with an epidural. With my second i didnt have time fir an epi...but i didn't want one. I would look into other methods of pain relief that is available. Also realize that once you gave an epi you lose the ability to getup and walk for the remainder if your labor and may very well need a catheter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
onefootcutiepie
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:40 PM

My sister, the epidural only took on one side. That would suck.

My first was born in Asia and the doc had never performed an epidural, so I declined. After that, I just never thought about it. I did have a spinal block for a surgery in the middle of my second pregnancy and for my last, who was a csection. I had back problems after both.

Stephynsos
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:41 PM

I had it with my first one, and not with my second, I would say not to get it... but it was better for ME on the SECOND baby to not get one... I am not much help... I wouldnt have been able to have my oldest with out it though...!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)