• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

over eating??

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:15 PM
  • 10 Replies

my son's last weigh in he was almost 21 lbs. so I figured in the past 2 months he's probably around 25lbs (he gains weight quickly) 

which would mean he should eat 62.5 oz in a day (25 x 2.5)

his eating schedule is kind of messed up but I'm assuming he's eating about 5x a day so 12.5 each time.

well, he started wanting to eat like every 2 hours giving him 8oz. so I told my hubby to make him 2 bottles (I was thinking moreso like an extra 5oz) but he made him another 8oz after his first 8oz.

he ate all 16oz... so I started doing the math, 80oz a day if he ate like that which means 32lbs if he eats 5x... um... that doesn't sound right. but should I worry that he's gonna over eat or get an upset stomach? is 16oz too much to feed an 8 month old??? 

my DD ate about 6oz every 2hours so 12oz/4 hours at this age...16oz just seems like a lot to me.

any thoughts??

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-PB
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:12 PM

That does seam like quite a lot but every baby is different.  When they're hungry, they're hungry.  Is he eating solids too? 

LancesMom
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Are you just giving him a bottle? What solids have you added to his diet? He should be eating baby food. And some finger foods now too! I would cut back on the bottles once he starts adding in food.

Bmat
by Barb on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Weight isn't gained by the weight of the food that is eaten, it is the calories in the food. But even so, that seems like a lot of formula, did the doctor suggest adding solids?

Braydens_Mama11
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:57 PM

we was giving him solids 3x a day (both my mother and mother in law said he should be on 3x a day with solids) and he dropped his bottles down to 16-24oz in a 24 hour period and it seemed like that wasn't a lot and he also stopped having dirty diapers as often and wasn't peeing a lot either. (we went through like 4 diapers a day) so we took him off the baby food (we were told formula should be his main source of food rather than baby food) to try and get his formula intake back up but now he's eating like this! 

we bought some little gerber grabbers for him and he ate 1 yesterday and 1 today and I suggested to DH to put him back onto solids but I'm afraid he will do the same thing as before...

should we put him back onto baby food maybe only like once a day or twice a day? :/

Quoting Bmat:

Weight isn't gained by the weight of the food that is eaten, it is the calories in the food. But even so, that seems like a lot of formula, did the doctor suggest adding solids?

-PB
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:54 PM

I would just do solids twice a day.  Or how much solids does he eat in one sitting?  Maybe you could still give him solids 3x a day but reduce the amount of solids.  Like if he is eating 5 oz of solids at each sitting, give him 4 oz of milk and 2-3 oz of solids.

Quoting Braydens_Mama11:

we was giving him solids 3x a day (both my mother and mother in law said he should be on 3x a day with solids) and he dropped his bottles down to 16-24oz in a 24 hour period and it seemed like that wasn't a lot and he also stopped having dirty diapers as often and wasn't peeing a lot either. (we went through like 4 diapers a day) so we took him off the baby food (we were told formula should be his main source of food rather than baby food) to try and get his formula intake back up but now he's eating like this! 

we bought some little gerber grabbers for him and he ate 1 yesterday and 1 today and I suggested to DH to put him back onto solids but I'm afraid he will do the same thing as before...

should we put him back onto baby food maybe only like once a day or twice a day? :/

Quoting Bmat:

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:14 PM
2 moms liked this

You are right.  His main nutrition should be from the formula.  Baby foods or soft foods should be for him to learn the texture and tastes.  It may be better for him if you cook your own veggies and fork mash them since the jarred stuff in stores is so overprocessed.  You could possibly also mix in formula with mashed potatoes as its "dairy" source to get the nutrition in.   Maybe try some baby yogurts.

Braydens_Mama11
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2011 at 11:43 AM

He will eat 8oz of solids plus a 8oz bottle about an hour later :/ 

Quoting -PB:

I would just do solids twice a day.  Or how much solids does he eat in one sitting?  Maybe you could still give him solids 3x a day but reduce the amount of solids.  Like if he is eating 5 oz of solids at each sitting, give him 4 oz of milk and 2-3 oz of solids.

Quoting Braydens_Mama11:

Quoting Bmat:

Braydens_Mama11
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2011 at 11:45 AM

thank you. I can do that, it might be more filling to him than the jarred stuff anyways I have thought of doing this since he is at the age where he can eat table food 

Quoting frndlyfn:

You are right.  His main nutrition should be from the formula.  Baby foods or soft foods should be for him to learn the texture and tastes.  It may be better for him if you cook your own veggies and fork mash them since the jarred stuff in stores is so overprocessed.  You could possibly also mix in formula with mashed potatoes as its "dairy" source to get the nutrition in.   Maybe try some baby yogurts.

mamakenzi
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Quoting Bmat:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Braydens_Mama11
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2011 at 9:54 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)