• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rash and Cough. Cough suppressants bad for you?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:49 PM
  • 6 Replies

My son woke up Monday morning with a rash on his face and arms. He felt fine and it didn't itch. I figured poison oak. He had it earlier in the year so I know he is allergic to it. Yesterday it spread over his entire body. We have been putting Calamine lotion on it, and Ivarest lotion, and having him take oatmeal baths. I have also given him ibuprofen for a slight fever (99.1). Today he has a cough. His sisters and I have been sick with runny noses and bad coughs all week. My dh brought him to the doctor. The doctor did a blood test to rule out measles or mumps. Its not chicken pox. We are waiting on the blood test. We didn't change anything at home. So the dr is thinking a viral infection. They sent my dh and ds home without any prescriptions. Just said continue calamin and ibuprofen. The doctor said she didn't want to give him a prescription for his cough either, saying a cough suppressant at his age (he is 7) isn't good for him....last year this same dr office gave my two girls then 2, and 3 a cough suppressant and antihistamine when they had bad colds.

1. Any idea what the rash could be? (he is red all over, no raised bumps) No sores in his mouth either

2. Has anyone else been told a cough suppressant is bad for their child?  

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
2forKaty
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:54 PM

It probably has to do with the type of cough he has as to why no suppressant. its okay to suppress an annoying dry throat cough but if it's a productive cough it is better left to do it's job which is to get rid of excess mucas and what not. Give him warm tea with honey, it will think the mucas out and make the cough lighten up a little. My Mom was always weary of antihistamines with us too (she's nurse in a peds office) because they can cause more harn than good. They can dry a kid out to the point of causing an infection, like an ear infection. A hunidifier will probably help quite a bit too.

There are tons of rashes kids can get, if its just associated with a viral inffection like the Dr, is saying there is no need to worry, it will clear up on it's own time.

2forKaty
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:07 PM

here is a link to a webmd article explaining cough treatment:

WEBMD

Melleroy1974
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:18 PM

yes my 3 yr old daughter had the same thing this year,  she had it for like 3-4 weeks took her to doctor yes they confirmed it was viral to soak her in warm baths no lotions no soaps they medical terminology for this infection im sorry i cannot remember the name they said it was but doctors said it would last long time and would go away on its own which it did.  They also told me to give her like 1/2 tsp day time of childrens zyrtec and 1/4 tsp to 1/2 tsp of benadryl which i did.  And little by little it went away but she had it under arm pits stomach legs arms bacl i felt so bad.  good lucl basically just give it time.  for coughs i just use tylenol or ibpro.  but yes some doctors give you perscp some dont. crazy right. well good luckl

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:20 PM

A cough is a mechanism to get rid of whatever is going on.   Until they know what he has (blood results) best not to suppress that so that he feels better soon.  No clue on the rash though.

temptmagick
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Thanks girls.  I am hoping to get a call back soon from the dr.  I sure this doesn't last weeks like your daughter's did Melleroy.  He has missed one week of school already. They gave us his homework assignments but I am still waiting on them to give us his school work. 

NookBoookMom
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 10:32 AM

my kids had something similar last year during winter, I never heard of not giving a cough suppressant especially for a bad cough. try some cough drops maybe ?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)