• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help with 3 year old!

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:04 PM
  • 6 Replies

To say the least my 3 year old is very bull-headed.  I just don't know what to do with him anymore, it seems like I yell and punish him more than spend time with him.  Anything I ask him to do he yells "No!" and screams, runs and just down right refuses to do anything.  And these are little things I'm asking him to do, like go to the bathroom, get his shoes.  I've tried kneeling down and talking to him face to face when he gets like this, not yelling at him, and trying to talk calmly to him.  It doesn't work.  I've tried time outs, standing in the corner, taking away toys from him because of his behavior.  I'm so frustrated.  So, now I've resorted to yelling and screaming at him, to which he yells and screams back.  Why am I screaming at a 3 year old?  I'm the adult, I hate acting this way.  I just don't know what to do anymore.  I'm out of ideas.  If anyone has ANY suggestions, please feel free to let me know!  I'll try anything at this point.

Quote for the day:
'Whatever you give a woman, she's going to multiply.
If you give her a house, she'll give you a home.
If you give her groceries, she'll give you a meal.
If you give her a smile, she'll give you her heart.
She multiplies and enlarges what is given to her.' 
So - if you give her crap, you will receive more shit than any one human being can handle!

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
JADIEBUG
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Be consistent. You have to use one punishment and stick with it. Your first mistake was trying all different types of punishments. Also cut out the screaming...How do you expect him to not scream when you are doing it? 3 year olds are parrots. 

When my 3 year old does that I get on his level and say in a firm but even voice..."Mommy does not like when you speak to her like that, it will not be tolerated and I will not speak to you until you can speak nicely."....Then I ignore him until he can respond in an appropriate tone of voice. IF he doesn't straighten up he goes to his room with no toys and no fun until he is ready to be nice.

jabs54
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:37 PM

I like the "Love and Logic" books.  Also, "Have A New Kid by Friday".

Mama2Mattieson
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:45 PM

It must be a stage because since my daughter turned 3 she doesn't listen to anything I say!

sassyscorpio85
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:10 PM
My ds hates quiet time. I will have him sit or lay on his bed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jules5077
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Thanks, ladies.  I think I needed to vent more than anything.  It is a tough age, and he's very strong-willed!

belovedmama08
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:22 PM

What works for me with my lil bull is telling him, "I'm sorry but I can't understand you when you talk like that" or "I won't talk to you when you act like that" and then walk away. The first couple times he got frustrated but then he realized as soon as he changed his tone I listened. However, if that doesn't work he goes to time out. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)