Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddler question

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:24 PM
  • 6 Replies

How much time do you spend on ABC's and 123's a day and what type of tools do you use to facilitate learning? My son is three and I would like to keep things fun for him as he is well.. three lol

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mackiebugsmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:27 PM
All day long...its just part of converstations. And we use books a lot and count blocks or toys while cleaning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bbmkfo03
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:45 PM

Throughout the day. We sing the ABC's, we talk about what letter her toys start with, what letter her food for lunch starts with. We also have the Leapfrog fridge phonics (awesome toy! My DD know's her ABC's and the sounds they make). We have those foam letters and numbers for the bath. My DD loves loves loves books. Even when we're playing tea party, I'll ask her what the objects are, what shape they are and what letter they start with or how many tea cups she has. And I give LOTS of praise :)

So, when your DS asks you to play with him make that a teaching opportunity and ask questions (what letter, how many, what shape etc.). Even when you're at the grocery store, at the park, etc.

Bmat
by Barb on Nov. 10, 2011 at 4:53 AM

I set aside an hour to half an hour a day where I did nothing but play educational things with the children. They had a toybox with a chalkboard, and and alphabet, and we read simple books and matched letters with those on the alphabet board,  flash cards that I made,  simple counting and adding and subtracting. more and less. If they got tired of it I would stop. But I also brought numbers and letters into regular life. .  How many pickles are on the plate? How many kitties are in the room, what color is this?  What letter does father start with?

MandaJo111
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 9:17 AM

My daughter turned 3 in August.  We have always incorporated learning into our day -- throughout the day.  If we are in the car we sing songs and the alphabet song is one of them.  If we are at the grocery store or cooking in the kitchen we count things.  If we are at the doctor's office she tells me the letters (people that hear her are always surprised that she knows all of her letters).  If she is drawing a picture, I tell her the name and then spell it for her and she writes it on the paper.  She also always writes her name on the paper.  Sometimes she forgets how to spell Madison, but she will ask and I will remind her how to spell it. 

If learning is incorporated into everything it just seems natural for them.  She also has a leapster and will be getting a Vtech Innotab for Christmas.  The learning games on those help out a lot as well.

bannannagirl
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 9:26 AM
As far as letters my son learned the whole alphabet without my help due to an alphabet bus and educational childrens programs on tv. He learned his numbers from what I can only guess is television also though we practice counting usually when we walk upstairs. Now if he would just get what things are by sight. He knows his shapes and colors also because of working with him with flashcards. Tried picture flashcards but he just mimics me doesn't really comprehend what they are yet. Sigh. LOL.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bonniewilson
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 2:48 PM

DS is 3. We use the your baby can read program. It's dvds, books,& flashcards. We read to him and use everyday activities (mealtime, at park, playtime, bathtime) stuff to teach him colors & numbers. By two he was counting to ten. My daughter (now 13) could read words age 3/stories age 5, but by 2nd grade was showing signs of dyslexia. We didn't have the program for her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)