Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I feel like super handy woman today!

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:25 PM
  • 6 Replies

We are finishing a room in our walkout basement for our master bedroom.  Our 4th baby is due in Feb and we needed another bedroom =).  Dh has been putting up drywall on his off time and its just been taking forever!! Since I am prego I can't do any heavy lifting and its been driving me nuts.  I hate slow projects.  So FINALLY today he and his dad got up the last of the drywall and started taping.  DH watched a few youtube video's on mudding and started on it but only did a small section of one wall.  That was at 11:30 this morning and he decided to just stop.  I don't know how he can do that.  I have always been the type to keep going until you drop or are finished with the project.  So once the kids went to bed I went downstairs to mud.  In 2 hours I got every joint and screw head covered with the first coat!!! I didn't do the ceiling because dh said no ladders, but everything else is covered with the first coat.  It looks pretty nice and smooth too.  I am going to do 2 more coats probably just so it looks as perfect as I can make it.  Dh was impressed.  He really wanted to hire someone to do it but sorry we just don't have 700 dollars to burn =).  So tomorrow coat 2 and friday coat 3 and a little sanding and it should be done (except for the ceiling).  Then on to gently nagging dh to mud the ceiling this weekend so I can start putting up primer. 

Everyone who supported slavery was free.  Everyone who supports abortion was born.  That, my friends, is how oppression works.  -Anonymous

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
momcat437
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Awesome!!  We're adding on a fourth bedroom ourselves--how much do you charge? : )

norahsmommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:40 PM

well the professional guy wanted 700 for our 14x16 room.  I think I could go for 200 =).  Seriously youtube is the most helpful learning too ever!!  It really isnt hard, just messy and time consuming.  Dh came in and said my joints looked much better than his, I just went over his and they smoothed out nicely.  I don't think there will be too much sanding in the end.  I watched this professional guy explain how he did a no sand method of mudding and he explained it really well. 

Quoting momcat437:

Awesome!!  We're adding on a fourth bedroom ourselves--how much do you charge? : )

Everyone who supported slavery was free.  Everyone who supports abortion was born.  That, my friends, is how oppression works.  -Anonymous

NookBoookMom
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:43 PM

LOL< congrats! just be careful painting, I know pregnant women are supposed to avoid the fumes maybe get one of those masks. my dh knows if he stops doing something I will step in and finish.

momcat437
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Oh, my hubby knows how to do it--he's a general contractor, among other things--I just thought if he saw a pregnant lady doing it, he'd get embarrassed and finish the job a lot quicker! : )

Quoting norahsmommy:

well the professional guy wanted 700 for our 14x16 room.  I think I could go for 200 =).  Seriously youtube is the most helpful learning too ever!!  It really isnt hard, just messy and time consuming.  Dh came in and said my joints looked much better than his, I just went over his and they smoothed out nicely.  I don't think there will be too much sanding in the end.  I watched this professional guy explain how he did a no sand method of mudding and he explained it really well. 

Quoting momcat437:

norahsmommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:04 PM

=).  Dh has no shame in that regard. The only time he will step in is if I start doing something he deems dangerous. Like mudding the ceiling or moving furniture.  I am going to find some no voc paint and make sure its safe for pregnant ladies.   When dh was training in Texas (military) I painted the whole upstairs by myself and got good and stoned on paint fumes. I really don't want to do that again =).  It was not so fun.  I am just trying to get all this construction out of the way as fast as possible because I still have to move all our bedroom stuff downstairs, move our two smallest girls into our old rooma and fix up their old room for our oldest dd, THEN paint the smallest room for our baby boy due in Feb.  I am sure he would not care for the pretty lilac color it currently is.  Lots to do and only so much time to do it in!  The worst thing about all this moving is there is no bathroom in the basement right now.  That will have to wait until this summer at the earliest.  That will be inconvenient for a while!

Quoting momcat437:

Oh, my hubby knows how to do it--he's a general contractor, among other things--I just thought if he saw a pregnant lady doing it, he'd get embarrassed and finish the job a lot quicker! : )

Quoting norahsmommy:

Quoting momcat437:

momcat437
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:09 PM

I love a woman with a mission! : )  Sounds like you've got it all under control, good luck with the new baby!

Quoting norahsmommy:

=).  Dh has no shame in that regard. The only time he will step in is if I start doing something he deems dangerous. Like mudding the ceiling or moving furniture.  I am going to find some no voc paint and make sure its safe for pregnant ladies.   When dh was training in Texas (military) I painted the whole upstairs by myself and got good and stoned on paint fumes. I really don't want to do that again =).  It was not so fun.  I am just trying to get all this construction out of the way as fast as possible because I still have to move all our bedroom stuff downstairs, move our two smallest girls into our old rooma and fix up their old room for our oldest dd, THEN paint the smallest room for our baby boy due in Feb.  I am sure he would not care for the pretty lilac color it currently is.  Lots to do and only so much time to do it in!  The worst thing about all this moving is there is no bathroom in the basement right now.  That will have to wait until this summer at the earliest.  That will be inconvenient for a while!

Quoting momcat437:

Quoting norahsmommy:

Quoting momcat437:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)