Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

new to breastfeeding

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 12:47 AM
  • 22 Replies
i just had my third baby on the 24th, and first time successfully breastfeeding. can you tell me what to expect? i am clueless right now. i was told your breasts get bigger then i was told not true. what can i do to make my milk flow steady? right now it is just colostrum.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 12:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaOf3091011
by Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 12:48 AM

=?utf-8?b?VW50aXRsZWQ=?=

my angel!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MumsTheWord571
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 12:50 AM
Your milk will come on it's own. Just nurse as often as baby wants & as long as he wants. Don't time it. Don't schedule it.

Some people their breasts will get bigger, others not.

Join the breastfeeding mons group. Lots of helpful ladies there!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MumsTheWord571
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 12:50 AM
What a cutie!

Quoting MamaOf3091011:

=?utf-8?b?VW50aXRsZWQ=?=

my angel!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaOf3091011
by Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 12:52 AM
i only have access on mobile. would you mind sending me the link?

Quoting MumsTheWord571:

Your milk will come on it's own. Just nurse as often as baby wants & as long as he wants. Don't time it. Don't schedule it.

Some people their breasts will get bigger, others not.

Join the breastfeeding mons group. Lots of helpful ladies there!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaOf3091011
by Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 12:53 AM
thank you!:-)

Quoting MumsTheWord571:

What a cutie!

Quoting MamaOf3091011:

=?utf-8?b?VW50aXRsZWQ=?=

my angel!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 12:58 AM

your milk will not come in for a couple more days - it's supposed to just be colostrum at first. your boobs don't necessarily get bigger, but they will get engorged as your body learns to regulate supply (it's like being swollen and they get hard and sore). 

nurse "on demand" - which means whenever baby wants. the first few weeks to months, it's going to be pretty much all the time. that's normal - baby is telling your body to produce they will need for upcoming growth spurts.

diapers is the only indication of whether or not baby is getting enough right now - DO NOT let anyone tell you otherwise. for the first week, baby needs one diaper for each day of like (so day 5 of life, baby should have 5 diapers - pee and/or poop) after that 6-8 diapers is normal. and they don't have to be full. 2tbs of liquid counts as a wet diaper. as baby get's older you will just want to be sure they are meeting milestones and gaining about 1 lb per month.

don't go by the dr's growth charts. they are based on formula fed babies. as long as baby is gaining about a pound a month and having the right amount of wet diapers, baby is fine.

wait to introduce pacis or bottles until breastfeeding has been established, and honestly only use bottles if you absolutely need to like if you'll be working or away from baby for a while. only pump for these occasions as well. if you nurse on demand AND pump, you can risk creating an oversupply and it's a pain to correct. normal pump output is .5-2.5 oz combined from both breasts and if bottle is given, no more than 2-2.5 oz per feeding. baby's tummy can only hold that much. that's why they eat more often than formula babies - breastmilk is easily digested. that means baby will wake often to nurse at night and it's normal if they don't sleep through the night for awhile.

hmmm...i think i covered the main stuff. kellymom.com is a great resource and i highly recommend joining the breastfeeding group. there is tons of support and information in there. i researched a lot before having dd and I've still learned at least twice as much in the 2 months i've been in that group!

sreichelt26
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 1:00 AM

here's the link for the breastfeeding group:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/325

i'd repost this there to get more info from those mamas!

MumsTheWord571
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 1:03 AM
Thanks! I'm on mobile too so I can't post a link.

Quoting sreichelt26:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaOf3091011
by Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 1:32 AM
thank you both for the advice and link!

Quoting MumsTheWord571:

Thanks! I'm on mobile too so I can't post a link.

Quoting sreichelt26:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bethbeth
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 1:36 AM
Find a lactation consultant to go visit so you can ask any questions and she can help with latch and positions and stuff. Go back as often as you need to! I went once a week for about 5 weeks since I had a lot of problems, and they were a big help.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)