Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

he still wont listen to me!

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:03 AM
  • 4 Replies

my son is 18 months and is the biggest brat! i love him but im going crazy , the only person he listens to is my SO and hes at work all day so its just me and my son and he dosnt listen to a damn word i say i tell him no and he does it anyways if i take something away from him he screams bloody murder and i do time outs iv spanked him (not hard or often) iv smaked his hand and he just dosnt want to listen to me at all he treats me like a big toy, and iv never spoiled him or babyed him (alot) iv tried to teach him no since he was 6 months and he can tell me no but he dosnt seem to get it when i say no.. anyways the point of this post is what do i do? SO says i need to be harder on him but as a mother i feel i am not suposed to be the *scary* one in the relationship but i feel like i need to be mean to get him to listen...actually thats not even true he dosnt listen when i yell or when i try and say it nicely... im starting to go crazy.. i love him but i feel like im losing control of him all together...  DOES ANY ONE ELS HAVE THIS PROBLEM?

HELP?!

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
-PB
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:02 PM

BUMP!

paladinmom
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 12:35 AM
1 mom liked this

When my DS10 was about 2, I began to have the "power struggle" with him.  Not listening, tantrums, stare downs... Longest stare down was 3 hours.  I won, he looked away first!  I would stand at the corner with him, as he threw a tantrum... stand him back up and say, "you need to be quiet for your time to begin".  After about 3 times of saying this, I would just put him back  in the corner.  It took about two weeks of consistency before he improved.  (This is back when SuperNanny was in her first season, I watched every episode I could and used the techniques.) 
As long as you remain completely, 100% consistent in consequences and rewards, your son will turn around soon.  And, DH must offer the same techniques you do in order for it to work 100%.  
Good Luck! 

opinionatedmom
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 5:07 AM

so he screams when you take things away they all do that at that age. do you cave and give it back to him?  you have to be his parent not his friend.   part of this is the terrible 2s starting early.

paladinmom
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Terrible Two's
Treacherous Three's
Fearsome Four's
Ferocious Five's
Silly Six's
I haven't come up with ones for past Six... I have 7, 8, 10 yr olds (5 & 3)....  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)