Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ADHD? Defiant?

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:04 AM
  • 26 Replies

My oldest is 8 and has ADHD and is very deifiant. I am at my wtis end with him here lately. He seems to be pushing all my buttons at once. His meds seem to help when he is at school and the ones he takes after dont seem to be helping. I am not sure what else to do or try. Any advice from those who are going thru the same thing would be great!

Heather Dchristmas tree

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Leopard44
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:17 AM

I can only help based on my experience with my own ADHD. Perhaps find him a good hobby, or several, so he can do something when he gets home, you may find by trying to keep his attention on something he will become more flexible in other ways.

heatherdavis3
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:19 AM

The only thing he enjoys is video games and we try to limit that. I limit things like that, the computer and tv. 

NearSeattleMom
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:46 AM

Give him choices instead of commands.  I like the book Parenting with Love and Logic. 

Good luck.

bamababe1975
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:58 AM

I agree with the choices versus commands. Say, "Would you like to clean up your room before dinner or after dinner?" rather than "Clean your room."

mommyNIKKI89
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Oh boy, sad thing I see it from both angles......I don't have ADHD, but I do have ADD and it drove my mother up the wall!!! She blames everything I do on the "ADD"..... It sucks, but anyway, ask his doctor if she can prescribe him the same thing that he takes when ge goes to school, but in a lower dose so that it's still effective when he gets home, but not as potent in his system. :) Hope that helps. Since I have a hard time concentrating, my doctor prescribed me Vyvanse for when I'm at work/ school and adderall for when I come home and do homework or have to work overtime at work. It sucks because American has a bad back order on Adderall and I struggle once my Vyvanse wears off....I may ask her to prescribe me something different also....

JuliFox
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Great advice above.  How long ago was he diagnosed?  There is a separate condition called Oppositional Defiance Disorder (ODD) which can make kids almost impossible to deal with - my youngest son has it in addition to his ADHD.  Meds don't seem to help the ODD; behavioral therapy can help a little.

CafeMom Tickers
TheMillerFamily
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Im currently in the process of seeing if my son is ADHD and hes been begging for a video game so we buy him the VReader games, and for christmas I am buying him a VMotion. We only buy education things when it comes to that. He loves them too.

Other then that I would find things for him that he likes to do other then that. Does he like to draw, color, write, read, build things, play with playdough? Theres got to be something, my son is obsessed with cars so we buy him trucks and cars and big legos and things so he can build little town things and ramps.

Quoting heatherdavis3:

The only thing he enjoys is video games and we try to limit that. I limit things like that, the computer and tv. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
heatherdavis3
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:54 PM

no, he doesnt like to read. I have my kids read a few times a week anyways and he is always giving us a hard time. video games is the only thing that interest him. I wish I could find something else thats for sure.

Heather Dchristmas tree

singlemotherof8
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Hi heatherdavis3, my granddaughter just turned 7 and she is the same way at home. She does well at school and at her after school program called the learning center, but at home she is a beast. I am at my wits end also. She also has PDD, NOS.

By singlemotherof8

heatherdavis3
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:42 PM

ITs a horrible feeling. I just do not know what to do anymore. I love him so much and I know its hard on him as well but its getting to be ridicules, ya know?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)