Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Work From Home Jobs or Being Consultants...Have You Tried Them?

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:56 AM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hello there,

I was just wondering if anyone has ever secured in the past or present work from home jobs or consulting jobs that actually paid a livable wage to get by on. I have done Scentsy, Partylite, Avon and Christmas Around the World. Out of all of those Consultant "gigs" Christmas Around the World paid me the most and I wish they weren't out of business, because I was always selling really well with those products. I always see these moms who make tons of money in the catalogs for these products and you see the Mary Kay cars around the neighborhood. But I'm just curious how many moms here have had good opportunities from those types of self-employment. Are there other companies out there like avon, partylite etc... out there that are decent paying? Enough to pay the bills and put food on the table?

What about work from home jobs? How do you know if a WFH job is legit? Where would you go to find a job like that?

I can't do any consultant type jobs anyway, because at the moment I am unemployed and you need start up costs for most consultant type jobs anyway.

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RaLeighsMommy11
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Ive never sold Avon or anything like that but I do work for a great company sending emails for them. its the EASIeST job ive ever had and i absolutely love it and make GREAT money doing it. if your interested in information please let me know by email.
Shay
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:15 PM

I have a friend who sells Avon and does really, really well with it (she's always winning cruises and trips and has many consultants under her).  However, I don't think it's something that is easy to get into unless you're super-dedicated.

NearSeattleMom
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2011 at 1:56 AM

I think you have to have the right personality to succeed in those sales kind of jobs--and usually, to really make money, you have to recruit a 'team' that works for you. 

HoosierNative
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 8:46 AM

I think you are absolutely right. I know when I sold Christmas around the world, my team leader was AWESOME and I think that made a huge difference in my attitude selling. She wasn't pushy with me, like one leader I had (with partylite) she was all about making "HER" money through me. I don't know if you get what I'm saying, but she was just sales driven for her own benefit. Didn't really care about what I had to say, didn't even really do much "small talk". ya know?  Meanwhile, the team leader I had  for CATW truly helped me, even gave me one of HER shows to get me going. I think that shows true dedication to your team. Because some people, like myself, really aren't pushy sales folk(no offense to you pushy sales folk, you need to earn a living too and if it works for ya great ) :) some of us need a little "nudge" to get going. And that first show helped my business to really take off.  And she was really interested in my kids and my home life and just was a "good person" all around. We became friends over time and although we lost touch over the years, she was the best example of a team leader and if I ever got back into that kind of a job would want a team leader like her again.

I miss doing that CATW. But about 6 months later I moved with our son  overseas with my (now ex) hubby who was military to be with him.  And then when I wanted to pick it up a few years later, the company had closed. :( Darnit! 

Quoting NearSeattleMom:

I think you have to have the right personality to succeed in those sales kind of jobs--and usually, to really make money, you have to recruit a 'team' that works for you. 

prdmama1154
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 10:55 AM
Do you get to work your own hours? I have a full time job but I'm looking for a second one.

Quoting RaLeighsMommy11:

Ive never sold Avon or anything like that but I do work for a great company sending emails for them. its the EASIeST job ive ever had and i absolutely love it and make GREAT money doing it. if your interested in information please let me know by email.

Shay
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RaLeighsMommy11
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 1:15 PM
yes you work whenever you want to! I usually work during my daughters naps

Quoting prdmama1154:

Do you get to work your own hours? I have a full time job but I'm looking for a second one.

Quoting RaLeighsMommy11:

Shay
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
prdmama1154
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 1:39 PM
Where can I get more info?

Quoting RaLeighsMommy11:

Quoting prdmama1154:

Quoting RaLeighsMommy11:

Shay
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RaLeighsMommy11
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 2:38 PM
i'll message you the information

Quoting prdmama1154:

Where can I get more info?

Quoting RaLeighsMommy11:

Quoting prdmama1154:

Quoting RaLeighsMommy11:

Shay
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
the3Rs
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 3:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I responded to a similar post elsewhere, so just copying my response here...

I work from home full time. My company explicitly prohibits us from discussing them by name in public forums - however, I can tell you that we develop educational software.  I started out WAH with several smaller jobs such as answering infommercial calls & taking their order (yes, when you call most times the person is working from home!), online proofreading, etc. all while still working out of the home full time & raising 3 kids. I know there are things like taking reservations for U-haul, hotels, & state parks, etc.

After working several part time WAH jobs I landed this full time opportunity and make a REALLY good income (much more than I made as a full time public school teacher) plus full benefits from home & they provide all computers, equipment, & pay internet & cell bills every month.

As far as finding a job from home that would work for you - you need to have an idea of what kind of work you would like to do (answer phones, IT/tech support, transcription, editing, writing, etc.) then look for those types of companies at forums dedicated to working from home.  My favorites are:

wahm.com (telecommuting folder)

workplacelikehome.com (general forums, job leads, etc.)

ratracerebellion.com (today's job leads)

These are all free, reputable sites, but please only use the forums - they have google ads for WAH to help pay for the sites and those are unfortunately not to be trusted...but the actual forums are trustworthy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZanderandBella
by on Dec. 10, 2011 at 12:38 AM

The best paying at home business I have done so far is It Works. The at home jobs are normally pennies for hours of work and have high payout minimums which stink. But you can use those 'jobs' to pay for the kits which is what I tell my gals to do. SimpleGPT, you can earn like $5 a hour but it's tedious work. Hubpages is a great way to blog but it takes time to earn money from it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)