Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

6 week old is extremely fussy in the!

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:20 PM
  • 18 Replies

My 2nd child is 6 weeks old and within the past week began getting really fussy at night. She has been such a pleasant, easy-going baby up until now. She's breastfed and formula fed (I can't produce enough) and she's on gentle formula. Also, I've tried giving her just breastmilk at night since she always seem to be less gassy with it over formula. I'm giving her mylicon gas drops too since she arches a lot and passes gas at night. I've also tried formula through the evening with the same results, so I don't think it's my diet and my milk. She cries hard and my usual techniques don't help her. The only thing that soothes her is bouncing her in the bouncer chair all evening.Just wondering if anyone had this experience and when it gets better or any suggestions. I read that colic usually peaks at 6 weeks, but I didn't think she was a colic baby. Please help!

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:22 PM
I have the same issue with my one month old, but he only stops crying if I'm walking him around. Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:29 PM

My dd was like that too.  She liked to be bounced and held at the same time.  Ugh.  This too shall pass.  Have you tried Gripe water?

by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:36 PM

How are her bowel movements?  Is she regular?  You could try elevating her at night by putting something under her mattress to see if that helps.  I'm not familiar with nighttime colic.  Both of my kids had it some time during the day.  my oldest it was late afternoon & i think my youngest was in the morning.  i'm sure you've tried pedaling the legs.  db puts vaseline on our kids bellies when they're gassy which helps.  he puts it on them & then gently moves his hand up in an upwards motion.  you can also try a little bit of chamomile tea too to see if that will soothe her.  it didn't work for my kids though.  lol.  i finally had to switch my oldest to Good Start's formula while my youngest had Nutramigen's powdered formula only, while my oldest hated the stuff. 

Oh & that was around the age my kids went to sleep on their stomachs.  I know it's not recommended but it helped with the gas & they were more comfortable. 

by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:28 PM

I would mention it to the doctor!

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:04 PM

THanks. My first was like this at night, but it started at 2 weeks. I thought we were in the clear since my 2nd is WAY more calm and content than my 1st ever was-LOL!

by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 9:28 AM
Gas. Ears. Teeth (yes, even at 6 weeks). Colic.

Those are the things I'd ask the pediatrician about.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Barb on Dec. 4, 2011 at 9:31 AM

reflux maybe.

Or being overtired. Is the baby getting enough nap time in during the day?

by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2011 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

How do you know you're not producing enough?

The first thing I would be doing is trying to cut back (and eliminate) the formula. It is SO hard on their little bodies.

Have you tried a chiropractor? I don't believe in colic :) Babies cry for a reason, and seeing a chiropractor can make a huge difference! It can also help with things like ear infections, reflux, breastfeeding positioning issues etc.

All of my kids go in the first few weeks. Some mamas have them adjusted as soon as they're born.
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 10:09 AM

Two of my three kids has what we called the "cranky hour"   it happens.  I used to just nurse though it.  I also agree with OP about trying to boost your milk production.   Have you tried eating oatmeal, driniking mother's milk tea, or taking fenegeke?  I think there is also a presctiption that your doctor could give you to boost milk production.  Good luck!!

by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 11:55 AM

My LC told me that BF babies can be fussier at night b/c mom's supply is a bit lower at night from nursing throughout the day, so they sometimes have the "fussy hour". But since you also use formula maybe it's gas or reflux? I'd mention it to the pediatrician.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)