Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Proper feedings for my 7 month old

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2012 at 1:03 PM
  • 26 Replies

My daughter will be 7 months old in less then a week! I have been giving her for breakfast one serving of cereal (1/4 cup, mixed with two ounces of formula) and how ever much of a stage two fruit shed like that morning... the other 4 ounces of her bottle when shes ready after (about two hrs later, at nap time) then at lunch around noon- one pm I give her whatever she had left over from the jar of fruit, and about half of a veggie.... (then around three she has a 4 ounce bottle for nap) for dinner she has a serving of cereal (1/4 cup, mixed with two ounces of formula) then the rest of the veggies left from lunch... then she gets the rest of her 4 ounce bottle about two hrs later, and then if she wants more bottle at bed time I allow it.... Am I feeding her enough? To much??? Is she one a normal eating schedule....

Ive been told to put cereal in her bottle by my sister in law at night because she isnt sleeping thru like she used to! Once we started solids she stopped sleeping thru the night... im told by the doctor not to pic her up after i sent her to bed just to give her the binky and let her put her self back to sleep but she just crys and crys.... ive also been told no bottles in the middle of the night bc she will have teeth soon! BUT if u give her that bottle and put her back to bed shes fine! It happens about 3 am every morning... Ive tried the cereal and it doesnt matter shes still up for that bottle...

ANY SUGGESTIONS??

Justine

Happily married to Cody Wolf on 07/18/2009 Mother of Lowell Wolf (Baby Wolf) who grew angel wings on 06/28/2010, and Lydia Wolf born on 06/13/11.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

by on Jan. 6, 2012 at 1:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamaeagle216
by on Jan. 6, 2012 at 1:12 PM
We would just give my son his binky and let him cry it out for a lil while. The first couple days it's really hard and it feels like someone's ripping your heart out but it really worked for him. We would lay him down awake and if he started to cry we let it go for about 5 mins and checked on him. Then moved it to ten mins. Then fifteen. Eventually he learned when it was dark outside he needed to sleep. Again this worked for US ( because the people against CIO will be here shortly to tell me how I scarred my child) parenting is just trial and error with love. If the baby doesn't seem ready then wait a few days an try it again. Our pediatrician said not to do it of they were sick or if there had been a big disruption in their routine lately. Which worked great because thats what you're doing. Just teaching them how to sleep. Also i would not do the bottle in the crib but again just personal opinion. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaWolf2010
by on Jan. 6, 2012 at 1:15 PM

i dont give the bottle in the crib i rock her back to sleep with it  and put her back to bed.... is that ok? or just let her cry

MamaPrime
by on Jan. 6, 2012 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this

We don't believe in letting our son cry it out. If he needs something then he needs it- even if it is just for comfort. Babies are programmed to need mom and not just for food. If he wakes up scared or anxious then he needs you. My son is almost 8 months and he is up 5 times a night because the holidays screwed him up. I just drink my coffee and get on with it. I'd kill to have my baby back to just once or twice a night, but that doesn't mean I'm going to let him cry. 

http://drbenkim.com/articles-attachment-parenting.html

mamaeagle216
by on Jan. 6, 2012 at 1:21 PM
With our son we did just let him cry like the dr said to but with our daughter I can't do that cause of our son sleeping too lol but if she gets really upset I would pick her up and soothe her. We had a three time rule. Five mins of crying, give him a bink and try not to touch him. Ten mins of crying, and the same. Then fifteen mins. Of after fifteen he was still crying we would pick him up to soothe and cuddle. It usually worked once he realized that it was a routine. My son knew how to play the game lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaWolf2010
by on Jan. 6, 2012 at 1:22 PM

i dont let her cry.... i wait a few min to make sure shes not going back to sleep then i get up and comfort her but its me and only me to take care of her and i need some sleep

vwd_johnson
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2012 at 1:34 PM
If you continue to let her wake up in the middle of the night for a bottle, she will continue to do it as a routine, not a necessity. My doctor told us a trick that when she wakes up at night, give her just water in her bottle. And then slowly her body will adjust to the fact that she doesn't need to wake up for hunger.

I think you should introduce table foods. Does she not have any teeth yet ? Mashed potatoes, mashed cauliflower, soft cooked carrots, banana's, things like this are all safe for her. And she is ready at 7 months. This will help her sleep at night if she is getting the food/nutrition she needs throughout the day.

I agree that the first week is tough, but she will adjust. The binky will help. She also will continue to wake up for you to rock her back to sleep if you continue as a routine. Babies love routine, break the habit now while you still can.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2forKaty
by on Jan. 6, 2012 at 1:38 PM

could she be going through a growth spurt?

Butterflysky_24
by Nicki on Jan. 6, 2012 at 1:59 PM
It sounds like she's eating just fine and some babies never sleep through the night no matter what they eat. I don't think it's good to do cereal in bottles unless recommended by a dr
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by Linda on Jan. 6, 2012 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Most kids go through phases of sleeping well and needing to eat through the night. There is nothing you can do during the day that will stop your daughter from needing to eat when she's hungry, even at inconvenient times.

Your sister is wrong, and it's been thoroughly studied: solids, late feedings, formula 'fortified' with other foods, swaddling, soothers, and holding your right hand up to the sky for 23 seconds while facing south-south-west while thinking 'sleep sleep sleep' are all completely unrelated to children being hungry and needing to be fed in the night.

The research is clear: people wake periodically through the night to scan themselves and the environment to see if they need anything, and if they do, the wake to fix it... if they don't they go back to sleep without remembering. It doesn't matter how old they are, and it is not a 'habit'.

She's not satisified with the cereal because it's virtually spackle, from a nutrition standpoint: it lacks the fats necessary to be satisfying (and for brain development).

larissalarie
by on Jan. 7, 2012 at 10:37 AM
2 moms liked this
She's still very young and probably needs to eat at night! Cry it out doesn't stop them from waking up and having needs, it just teaches them that mom doesn't respond to needs then. Doctors love to dispense parenting advice, but as far as I know they don't teach parenting in MEDICAL school.
Having a baby means you get to be tired, that's life. We've all been there :-)

So your daughter is only eating 12 ounces of formula all day? That doesn't sound like nearly enough. I breastfeed, so I'm not entirely sure, but the nutritional need is 24-30 ounces per day. My understanding was that formula fed infants required even more than that by your daughter's age because the formula doesn't change in composition to meet the greater requirements of an older baby like breastmilk, so an older formula fed infant should be drinking even more than that.

As much as people like to think solids equal sleeping better, it's not actually true. It just happens that the introduction of solids coincides with an age when some babies naturally start sleeping longer stretches. And because solids generally have fewer calories per ounce (breastmilk has 22 cal/oz, formula has 20 cal/oz. Look at those 4 ounce jars of baby food, how many have at least 80 calories?) a lot of babies sleep WORSE after solids begin.

So anyway hang in there, they aren't babies forever :-) Maybe try increasing her formula intake and see if that helps. You could also offer real food rather than baby food. Infant cereal has no nutritional value, so it's never needed and there's not any reason to offer purees either (unless you just want to) Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured