Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Discipline problems: need advice

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2012 at 1:46 PM
  • 18 Replies
DS is extremely active and impulsive. He is having trouble in school minding authority, having self control and listening. He has a lot of the same problems at home and nothing seems to work. Any advice on what we can try?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 6, 2012 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-PB
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2012 at 3:09 PM

How old is he?  What have you tried?  What does his doctor say about his behavior?

Texasgal99
by Member on Jan. 6, 2012 at 3:28 PM
He's 5, in kindergarten. We have tried time out, positive reinforcement, taking away toys and other things he likes.
The pedi wants him tested for adhd, but I'm totally against medication.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-PB
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Totally understandable.  Most people try dietary changes before medication.  No dyes, limit sugars both natural and artificial, no artificial flavors, limit preservatives, things like that.  Have you tried diet changes?

Quoting Texasgal99:

He's 5, in kindergarten. We have tried time out, positive reinforcement, taking away toys and other things he likes.

Texasgal99
by Member on Jan. 6, 2012 at 4:02 PM
We've eliminated hfcs and I try to limit anything artificial, additives, preservative, etc. He's a very picky eater, so I do my best to balance what he likes while limiting or eliminating those things. Other than sugar, I haven't found a certain good that really sets him off.

Quoting -PB:

Totally understandable.  Most people try dietary changes before medication.  No dyes, limit sugars both natural and artificial, no artificial flavors, limit preservatives, things like that.  Have you tried diet changes?

Quoting Texasgal99:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs_Incredible
by on Jan. 6, 2012 at 6:30 PM

We were in the same boat with my son.  We started 123 magic and worked with his teachers to implement the same behavior consequences in school as at home and we saw a complete 180 in him.  Boys are hard, active and just plain crazy in general at that age.  Everyone's so quick to throw ADHD at the kid when a LOT of maturity doesn't come to boys until the ages of 7-10.  Try 123 Magic.  Seriously, it will change your life. 

Texasgal99
by Member on Jan. 6, 2012 at 6:41 PM
The pedi recommended 123 magic, but I haven't been able to find it. Where did you get it?

Quoting Mrs_Incredible:

We were in the same boat with my son.  We started 123 magic and worked with his teachers to implement the same behavior consequences in school as at home and we saw a complete 180 in him.  Boys are hard, active and just plain crazy in general at that age.  Everyone's so quick to throw ADHD at the kid when a LOT of maturity doesn't come to boys until the ages of 7-10.  Try 123 Magic.  Seriously, it will change your life. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs_Incredible
by on Jan. 6, 2012 at 6:42 PM

I actually bought it on my Nook.  But amazon has copies for under $10.  GREATEST BOOK EVER.  Seriously. http://www.amazon.com/1-2-3-Magic-Effective-Discipline-Children/dp/1889140430/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325893345&sr=8-1

Quoting Texasgal99:

The pedi recommended 123 magic, but I haven't been able to find it. Where did you get it?

Quoting Mrs_Incredible:

Full time mom, part time vegetarian!

itsm3
by on Jan. 6, 2012 at 8:34 PM

i would look at how much sleep he's getting (overtired kids have trouble focusing, they're hyper, cranky, have short fuses etc) and also his diet.  sometimes the wrong foods can amp them up. 

Texasgal99
by Member on Jan. 6, 2012 at 9:55 PM
Pedi mentioned a dvd. Did you get that?

Quoting Mrs_Incredible:

I actually bought it on my Nook.  But amazon has copies for under $10.  GREATEST BOOK EVER.  Seriously. http://www.amazon.com/1-2-3-Magic-Effective-Discipline-Children/dp/1889140430/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325893345&sr=8-1

Quoting Texasgal99:

Quoting Mrs_Incredible:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Arwynn
by on Jan. 7, 2012 at 11:15 AM
Try this. My kindergartener was wild in pre-k so we changed our diet & its like night & day difference. http://newideas.net/adhd/adhd-diet
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)