Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms
I have it as does 90% of my family on my dads side.  I've been taking medication for it for about 5 years now.  I have been able to control it with diet and excercise but if I slip at all it creeps back.  I have 2 pills, 1 for high blood pressure and 1 water pill.  Well I've been out of my water pill for several days and haven't called to refill yet.  OMG, I am so swollen I can't even take off my wedding ring!  Do any of you have this problem?  Anyone have any suggestions for all this water retention?  I really need to get in and talk to my dr again just don;t have the money right now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 8, 2012 at 9:03 AM
Replies (11-20):
LindaClement
by on Jan. 8, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Do you restrict your sodium intake? Monitor your potassium intake?

Can you get your doctor to call in a refill to the pharmacy without making a visit?

Did you know that celery (2 stalks a day) can lower blood pressure as much as conventional medications?

Sweet_Carol_126
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2012 at 8:27 PM

When you take water pill, dyazide needs you to take a potassium pill too. If you don't take one, ask the doctor if you need one.  You may need the water pill increased or  alternate a higher level every other day, but your doctor needs to tell you what you can do so you need to talk to doctor.

One thing you can do immediately is to get your feet up. They should be above your heart.  At night you might want to put your feet on a pillow and not your head.  That will help drain the fluid from the legs.   As soon as  you can get your ring off, take it off and leave it off until the situation straightens out.  Be careful wearing regular socks as they can cut off circulation at the ankles.  You may want to get special hose for circulation and wear them if you have to drive much or if you have to sit at a desk in the day.  Each day you need to get your legs up onto a cushion as much as possible.  However to get feet above hart, have to put them on a pillow and lay down or lay on the sofa and put your feet on the arms of the sofa.  This will get your feet up.  My ankles are aboutg 2 or 3 times normal size rfight now but I have so much stuff on sofa I can't get them up there and I need to type.  That is a major problem when the ankles are down and blood goes into it but the pressure is so high that it presses fluids out of the arteries and thickens the blood a bit.  The fluids have to get back up so the kidneys can carry it off.  That is the reason for the diuretic.  This can be a bad situation so tell the doctor if you can't get it down by keeping the legs up more.  You may need a different diuretic.  Some BP pills tend to cause swelling too.  I take one that does but kidney doctor won't take me off it because it keeps the BP down though the ankles swell.  Walking is good or any exercise.  One problem of the water is that it doesn't just go to feet but to the heart as well.  Heart is not beating strong enough to pump it back up out of the legs.  Can be from valves or drinking too much.  Talk to y our doctor, but you can put your legs up immediately.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jan. 8, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Wow I'm sorry your so swollen.I do not have high blood pressure but try to restrict as much salt as you can,elevate your legs and feet.

stepdiva
by on Jan. 9, 2012 at 2:46 AM
Since you mentioned it, and not to be nosey, but if you still have refills of the diuretic, why'd you need to talk to your doctor? All that fluid puts extra work on your heart. So while all that advice is good, I think you need to get the refill, and get that blood pressure under control. good luck honey.
LoreleiSieja
by on Jan. 9, 2012 at 3:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Anything you can do to improve your total overall health can only help. 

1) go on a health-food diet.  Try the "raw diet" - as this has helped many people cure various health problems from high blood pressure to diabetes.  Avoid all processed foods, artificial colorings, artificial flavors, high-fructose corn syrup and anything that isn't "real food".

2) get 8 hours of sleep every single day. 

3) DRINK lots of water!  Drinking water helps to move water through your system.  Most Americans are dehydrated.  If your urine isn't clear in color, you are dehydrated.  It isn't supposed to be yellow.  If you weight 100 pounds, then you are supposed to drink 100 ounces of water a day - which is a lot more than the old-fashioned "six to eight glasses a day". You are supposed to drink an ounce of water a day per pound of body weight.

4) Regular daily exercise - not just at the gym, but add movement through out your day. Take the stairs instead of elevator.  Park at the back of the parking lots and walk in.  Park a few blocks away from work and walk the last bit.  Take up a sport or activity like ball room dancing or badmitton.

5) Learn meditation or yoga.  It can help you deal with stress, which can be a big factor in high blood pressure.

None of these suggestions could be harmful to your health, and taken together, could just make you the healthiest you've ever been in your life.

Good luck!

lovinmommy0f3
by on Jan. 9, 2012 at 6:33 AM
I don't a refill remaining. I have to go in for an office visit before they will refill. I made an appointment yesterday for next week. Thanks everyone for all your advice and suggestions.

Quoting stepdiva:

Since you mentioned it, and not to be nosey, but if you still have refills of the diuretic, why'd you need to talk to your doctor? All that fluid puts extra work on your heart. So while all that advice is good, I think you need to get the refill, and get that blood pressure under control. good luck honey.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinmommy0f3
by on Jan. 9, 2012 at 6:34 AM
I don't have a refill remaining. I have to go in for an office visit before they will refill. I made an appointment yesterday for next week. Thanks everyone for all your advice and suggestions.

Quoting stepdiva:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marscella
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2012 at 6:38 AM
Drink tons of water~I know it sounds dumb cuz ur trying to get the water weight down BUT after I had my ds I was so swollen I wear a size 7 shoe, my husband a size 9 and I had to wear his shoes bcuz I was so swollen. Walk walk walk around and th sell the generic brand it's simply called water pill at like Walmart or anywhere the off brand is stupidly inexpensive ~ just curious tho do u have insurance? Or is that why it waiting on ur refill? And yes tea and lemonade is a diruretic ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
knightmd
by on Jan. 9, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Stay away from CANNED foods even if it says, low sodium or low salt.  Fresh fruits and vegetables are the best for you.  You are quite young to have such a problem, what if I may ask is the diagnosis?  Is it primarily your heart or your kidneys.  I don't believe that your money problem is the issue.  It is  always an option to apply for services if they are not in place already, I believe it is the value of your life compared to the value of money and objects.  The doctor should have given you the opportunity to speak with a nutritionist when you were diagnosed.  Some times the drug companies have a plan where you can apply for a grant and they give the meds for free.  Maybe you can call the MD talk with the nurse about the issue and she will try to help you find a solution.  You are not the first nor will you be the last one to have money issues to pay for meds. 

Good Luck. 

lovinmommy0f3
by on Jan. 9, 2012 at 9:00 AM

My diagnosis is just high blood pressure right now.  I do have insurance and this is the first time I haven't renewed my prescription.  I literraly just don't have the co pays right now for the office visit and prescription once I get a refill.  However it's not something I do all the time or will continue to go without.  I do still have my blood pressure meds which I am currently taking.  I'm just out of the water pill.  I have an appopintment next week.....got to wait for a pay period this Friday.  I appreciate all the help and advice you all are giving.  Thank you all for being so helpful.  I know about the drinking water and limiting salt but it never occured to me about canned foods.  You all have shared so much more info than my doctor has given me in 5 years.

Quoting knightmd:

Stay away from CANNED foods even if it says, low sodium or low salt.  Fresh fruits and vegetables are the best for you.  You are quite young to have such a problem, what if I may ask is the diagnosis?  Is it primarily your heart or your kidneys.  I don't believe that your money problem is the issue.  It is  always an option to apply for services if they are not in place already, I believe it is the value of your life compared to the value of money and objects.  The doctor should have given you the opportunity to speak with a nutritionist when you were diagnosed.  Some times the drug companies have a plan where you can apply for a grant and they give the meds for free.  Maybe you can call the MD talk with the nurse about the issue and she will try to help you find a solution.  You are not the first nor will you be the last one to have money issues to pay for meds. 

Good Luck. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)