Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms
I have it as does 90% of my family on my dads side.  I've been taking medication for it for about 5 years now.  I have been able to control it with diet and excercise but if I slip at all it creeps back.  I have 2 pills, 1 for high blood pressure and 1 water pill.  Well I've been out of my water pill for several days and haven't called to refill yet.  OMG, I am so swollen I can't even take off my wedding ring!  Do any of you have this problem?  Anyone have any suggestions for all this water retention?  I really need to get in and talk to my dr again just don;t have the money right now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 8, 2012 at 9:03 AM
Replies (21-29):
knightmd
by on Jan. 9, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Just a few more thoughts after posting.  Most all processed foods, including and especially meats like bologna have high concentrations of salt, sodium and has been used in sauces, like packaged gravies and so forth, anything that needs to be "preserved", soda/pop is also loaded with salt....check labels and whatever the MD has recommended your target to be....stay at.  The seasonings we use have msg and sodium, check those as well.  It is your ife we are talking about here.  The only things that are "good" for us is fresh or frozen with nothing else added.  Stay away from soy, and any asian dish with soy.  Butter is another culprit for sodium...Take care and thank you for responding.

Quoting lovinmommy0f3:

My diagnosis is just high blood pressure right now.  I do have insurance and this is the first time I haven't renewed my prescription.  I literraly just don't have the co pays right now for the office visit and prescription once I get a refill.  However it's not something I do all the time or will continue to go without.  I do still have my blood pressure meds which I am currently taking.  I'm just out of the water pill.  I have an appopintment next week.....got to wait for a pay period this Friday.  I appreciate all the help and advice you all are giving.  Thank you all for being so helpful.  I know about the drinking water and limiting salt but it never occured to me about canned foods.  You all have shared so much more info than my doctor has given me in 5 years.

Quoting knightmd:

Stay away from CANNED foods even if it says, low sodium or low salt.  Fresh fruits and vegetables are the best for you.  You are quite young to have such a problem, what if I may ask is the diagnosis?  Is it primarily your heart or your kidneys.  I don't believe that your money problem is the issue.  It is  always an option to apply for services if they are not in place already, I believe it is the value of your life compared to the value of money and objects.  The doctor should have given you the opportunity to speak with a nutritionist when you were diagnosed.  Some times the drug companies have a plan where you can apply for a grant and they give the meds for free.  Maybe you can call the MD talk with the nurse about the issue and she will try to help you find a solution.  You are not the first nor will you be the last one to have money issues to pay for meds. 

Good Luck. 

Gail Ayres, RNkissing

Fruitbowlk
by on Feb. 29, 2012 at 7:16 AM

Stop eating process foods  that where the most of the sodium is. Check with a Registered Dietitian.

stacy2607
by Bronze Member on Feb. 29, 2012 at 2:46 PM
I hear ya..after I had my now 1 yr old I developed high BP..not too bad just elevated..well then I got pregnant again with my baby girl who is now 9 days old and at the end of my pregnancy dr decided to induce me..I was 39weeks..because it went all the way up to 156/101.. After i had my daughter he upped my meds..yesterday I went to have it checked and it was 164/112.. So he added another pill to my other pills I'm taking..hopefully it helps.
lovinmommy0f3
by on Feb. 29, 2012 at 3:30 PM
Wow, that is really high. I hope the new mess work for you and bring it down.

Quoting stacy2607:

I hear ya..after I had my now 1 yr old I developed high BP..not too bad just elevated..well then I got pregnant again with my baby girl who is now 9 days old and at the end of my pregnancy dr decided to induce me..I was 39weeks..because it went all the way up to 156/101.. After i had my daughter he upped my meds..yesterday I went to have it checked and it was 164/112.. So he added another pill to my other pills I'm taking..hopefully it helps.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stacy2607
by Bronze Member on Feb. 29, 2012 at 3:46 PM
Thank You!!

Quoting lovinmommy0f3:

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Feb. 29, 2012 at 4:00 PM
Sounds like a sodium issue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
margecarter
by on Feb. 29, 2012 at 4:05 PM

It's not a factor of money. I would check with your doctor and tell him your situation and I am sure he would help you.  remember to check everything yu put in your mouth what is in the product by reading the ingredient label not just the label.   remember sodium comes in many forms. if you don't know look up on the internet and ask please give me all the names for sodium.

marisab
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:21 PM

BUMP!

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:29 PM

You can get herbal diuretics at health food stores.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)