Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Carseat to 5 point ..... ????

Posted by   + Show Post

my son recently turned 1 and at his check up is weighs in at 19LBS and is 31 inches long. our carset says its safe for 5-22lbs and up to 29 inches long.

so i guess my question is do we keep him in the seat we have now until he reaches 22lbs or do we move him to a 5 point forward facing because of his length?

driving

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

by on Jan. 8, 2012 at 2:12 PM
Replies (11-20):
ThePinkRobot
by on Jan. 8, 2012 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this
You need a convertible seat which will all him to rear face for at least another year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ToriBabe1221
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2012 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Switch him to a convertible seat. Depending on your budget, there are alot of great options.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetmissy_05
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2012 at 2:49 PM

You can get him a rear facing 5 point harness carseat.  They go from about 5 lbs and up.

MissTacoBell
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2012 at 2:50 PM
OP instead of listening to the apparently invalid suggestions on here (according to erinsmom1964) join the carseat safety group. They actually do know what they are talking about.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2012 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this

His head must be 1" below the shell of the car seat, the height is more of a guideline.

I would not turn him FF, I would but a convertable car seat and rear face him to the maximum limits of the seat.

My son turned FF at 4 and my daughter is 3 and still RF. If you want more information on why RF is safer then FF and it's worth keeping them that way, I can set you up with some links.

Fordprefect
by Member on Jan. 8, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Move him because of his length.

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Quoting MissTacoBell:

OP instead of listening to the apparently invalid suggestions on here (according to erinsmom1964) join the carseat safety group. They actually do know what they are talking about.

Maybe you should join becasue they will tell you the SAME thing I just did. 

streich420
by on Jan. 8, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I put my son in a "big boy" carseat at one.. He was a chunky guy though and couldn't fit in his infant carseat!

rockinmomto2
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2012 at 2:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I would go with a Graco MyRide 65. They rear face to 40 lbs, and forward face to 65 lbs. My DS has a Nautilus, and I'd only suggest that seat to someone whos child is over 3 years old. It's more of a harnessing booster than a standard harnessing seat.

MissTacoBell
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2012 at 2:57 PM
Rotfl. Entertainment....and it's not yet noon!

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting MissTacoBell:

Maybe you should join becasue they will tell you the SAME thing I just did. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)