Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Carseat to 5 point ..... ????

Posted by   + Show Post

my son recently turned 1 and at his check up is weighs in at 19LBS and is 31 inches long. our carset says its safe for 5-22lbs and up to 29 inches long.

so i guess my question is do we keep him in the seat we have now until he reaches 22lbs or do we move him to a 5 point forward facing because of his length?

driving

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

by on Jan. 8, 2012 at 2:12 PM
Replies (21-30):
nellyb118
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2012 at 2:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Move him to a convertible seat. 5 point harness and with a high weight limit for rear facing. The recommended minimum for rear facing is 2 years old. We have a Graco My Ride 65 and love it. When our 2 month old gets bigger we plan on buying another since my 6 y/o DS is in one also.(he's tiny,only 40lbs)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nellyb118
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2012 at 3:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Also I saw a few My Ride 65's on sale at our BRU for $104.99,I was told they're discounting the fabric style so I'd check your BRU bc I paid $150 for mine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2012 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting nellyb118:

Move him to a convertible seat. 5 point harness and with a high weight limit for rear facing. The recommended minimum for rear facing is 2 years old. We have a Graco My Ride 65 and love it. When our 2 month old gets bigger we plan on buying another since my 6 y/o DS is in one also.(he's tiny,only 40lbs)

That is a GREAT seat.  Even my really long DD made it past 2 RFing in that seat.  Some peole don't like it for FF though as it does have quite a deep angle.  We just moved up to the Frontier 85 SICT and Erin only used it FF a few months and she never complained but I have heard of others in FF but everyone I have ever spoke to LOVES that seat for RF....we did too!!  This was her last RF ride on July 1st  :(

meismith
by on Jan. 8, 2012 at 3:05 PM

i would love to have the links :) i keep looking stuff up and i keep getting different answers i just want to know what is  safest for him

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Della03
by on Jan. 8, 2012 at 3:07 PM
I switched DS to a convertible 5 point harness when he hit 20 pounds but kept him RF. He will be 13 months next week and will be staying RF as long as he is comfortable that way and guideline suggest for HIS safety. If you don't have a lot of extra money right now until you get your tax return or something, we bought the Cosco Scenari for around $40 on sale bc he hit the weight limit for his carrier car seat. It's all about the safety of the child. It is well rated in crash safety also. You really need to switch ASAP and you need to buy a NEW seat and not used. So if money is an issue I would recommend this seat. You can find it at Walmart now for as low as $55 until you can afford a more expensive seat as you wish. My manual is in the car but I believe it goes up to 40 pounds. RF up to 35 and FF up to 40 pounds.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
0Peach0
by on Jan. 8, 2012 at 3:12 PM
I would get a myride and keep him rear facing as long as possible. It is safest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Quoting meismith:

i would love to have the links :) i keep looking stuff up and i keep getting different answers i just want to know what is  safest for him

First Momma a few questions.  Are you going to keep RFing?  What is your budget?  Important factors BEFORE any suggestions are given.

mommytomyson
by on Jan. 8, 2012 at 3:14 PM

It is now recomended that children rear face until at least age 2, but the longer the better as it much safer. It sounds like its almost time for a convertable though. What is your budget I will suggest one that will work well for you.

mommytomyson
by on Jan. 8, 2012 at 3:15 PM

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Quoting Della03:

I switched DS to a convertible 5 point harness when he hit 20 pounds but kept him RF. He will be 13 months next week and will be staying RF as long as he is comfortable that way and guideline suggest for HIS safety. If you don't have a lot of extra money right now until you get your tax return or something, we bought the Cosco Scenari for around $40 on sale bc he hit the weight limit for his carrier car seat. It's all about the safety of the child. It is well rated in crash safety also. You really need to switch ASAP and you need to buy a NEW seat and not used. So if money is an issue I would recommend this seat. You can find it at Walmart now for as low as $55 until you can afford a more expensive seat as you wish. My manual is in the car but I believe it goes up to 40 pounds. RF up to 35 and FF up to 40 pounds.

Great points!!  Remember though rarely do you weight out of these seats unless you got a heftier child.  Usually you height out first.  To RF you MUST have 1 inch of shell above the childs head.  The height of the child for carseats is a estimate unlike the weight as children( people) are built differently.  My DD for example is extremely tall and long in torso....long neck ...and BIG head.  LOL  so that all contributed to her not being able to RF any longer in her seat.  She only made it to 2 yrs 3 months. 

Edit to add to RF straps MUST be at or below shoulder too.  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)