Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Carseat to 5 point ..... ????

Posted by   + Show Post

my son recently turned 1 and at his check up is weighs in at 19LBS and is 31 inches long. our carset says its safe for 5-22lbs and up to 29 inches long.

so i guess my question is do we keep him in the seat we have now until he reaches 22lbs or do we move him to a 5 point forward facing because of his length?

driving

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

by on Jan. 8, 2012 at 2:12 PM
Replies (31-40):
erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I wish Ashley Renee was around I LOVE the pic of her pixie DD is her MY Ride.  she is like 4 and you can still see 3 slots above her head RFing.

meismith
by on Jan. 8, 2012 at 3:19 PM

our budget is around 150.00 ish and we dont care if he is forward or rear we just want to do what is safest for him.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Then you SHOULD care Momma as RFing is 500 times safer than FF at his age.  

Quoting meismith:

our budget is around 150.00 ish and we dont care if he is forward or rear we just want to do what is safest for him.

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2012 at 3:22 PM

It is best to RF as long as possible.  At that budget the Graco My Ride would be an EXECELLENT choice!!

alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2012 at 3:22 PM

A Graco Myride will fit in that budget and RF until 40 or 45 lbs, can't remember off the top and FF, harness until 65lbs.

You need to RF and harness as long as possible. That is the safest for you baby.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Then you SHOULD care Momma as RFing is 500 times safer than FF at his age.  

Quoting meismith:

Join me in Moms for Education
Moms for Education

"Oppression of spirit is not on
the public school curriculum. Rather, it's a noxious by-product produced
while stewing schooling in a pot w/ unions, administrators,
multi-billion dollar budgets, state education departments, and school
boards, then letting politicians control the heat." Linda Dobson

"When you want to teach
children to think, you begin by treating them seriously when they are
little, giving them responsibilities, talking to them candidly,
providing privacy and solitude for them, and making them readers and
thinkers of significant thoughts from the beginning. That's *if* you
want to teach them to think." ~ Bertrand Russell

mommytomyson
by on Jan. 8, 2012 at 3:24 PM

I would second the Graco My Ride! I have had one before and I LOVE that seat! So easy to use and adjust! Plus its very very safe!

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2012 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this

The Graco - MyRide 65 LX Convertible Car Seat keeps your child rear-facing for longer than most other car seats, which keeps them much safer. Then, the car seat converts into a forward-facing seat for your toddler, which has a removable headrest and dual cup holders. This car seat has been rigorously crash tested to meet or exceed all U.S. safety standards, and the energy-absorbing foam liner keeps your little one safer in the event of a crash.

Graco - MyRide 65 LX Convertible Car Seat, Rane:
  • Rear-facing use for an infant from 5 to 40 lbs
  • Forward-facing use for a toddler from 20-65 lbs
  • Keeps your child rear-facing for longer than most car seats, which is safer
  • 5-point, front-adjust harness helps you get baby in and out quickly and easily
  • Side-impact tested
  • Meets or exceeds all U.S. safety standards
  • SafeSeat engineered and crash tested to meet U.S. standard FMVSS 213
  • Energy-absorbing foam liner
  • Removable toddler headrest
  • Machine washable seat cushion
  • Dual cup holders
  • Easy-to-read level indicator for hassle-free installation
  • LATCH-equipped
  • Approved for airplane use
  • Dimensions: 26" x 21" x 27"
  • No assembly required
  • Weight: 15.8 lbs

Graco - MyRide 65 LX Convertible Car Seat, Rane

•  
  •     
  •  
    • Share this:
    •  
    •  

Advertisement
    Click Here

Graco - MyRide 65 LX Convertible Car Seat, Rane

Buy from Walmart

$139.99

In stock for:

• Free shipping to store with Site to Store
    Ship to home
      - 97¢ shipping

Della03
    by on Jan. 8, 2012 at 3:25 PM
    Yeah DS is 30.5 in and just hit 22 pounds so we are still able to RF in the Cosco. When we get taxes we are going to get something new. I'm still searching for a good more expensive seat that can contain him for a few years.

With dd we weren't as educated on the RF past 20 pounds and 1 year so we turned her a few weeks after she turned 1. She has the Safety first all in one I think it's called the Alpha Omega. We are getting ready to buy her a new seat. She is 35 in and 30 pounds. That seat is suppose to go to 80 pounds but I dont feel comfortable with keeping her in it bc her head already is right above the seat. It's suppose to turn into like a booster. I have the manual in the car. The inlaws got it for her first birthday so I accepted it. Yeah I need to practice what I preach and kick my own ass and get her a new seat. So what would u recommend for a 3 year old 30 pound 35 in tall??

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting Della03:

I switched DS to a convertible 5 point harness when he hit 20 pounds but kept him RF. He will be 13 months next week and will be staying RF as long as he is comfortable that way and guideline suggest for HIS safety. If you don't have a lot of extra money right now until you get your tax return or something, we bought the Cosco Scenari for around $40 on sale bc he hit the weight limit for his carrier car seat. It's all about the safety of the child. It is well rated in crash safety also. You really need to switch ASAP and you need to buy a NEW seat and not used. So if money is an issue I would recommend this seat. You can find it at Walmart now for as low as $55 until you can afford a more expensive seat as you wish. My manual is in the car but I believe it goes up to 40 pounds. RF up to 35 and FF up to 40 pounds.

Great points!!  Remember though rarely do you weight out of these seats unless you got a heftier child.  Usually you height out first.  To RF you MUST have 1 inch of shell above the childs head.  The height of the child for carseats is a estimate unlike the weight as children( people) are built differently.  My DD for example is extremely tall and long in torso....long neck ...and BIG head.  LOL  so that all contributed to her not being able to RF any longer in her seat.  She only made it to 2 yrs 3 months. 

Edit to add to RF straps MUST be at or below shoulder too.  :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    La-Belle-Vie
    by on Jan. 8, 2012 at 3:29 PM
    Safest is to continue rear facing him at least to 2 Yeats old :). I
    Today there is a deal on a true fit for 105.00 shipped! I'll get the link.
    What is your budget?

Quoting meismith:

i would love to have the links :) i keep looking stuff up and i keep getting different answers i just want to know what is  safest for him

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    La-Belle-Vie
    by on Jan. 8, 2012 at 3:30 PM
    Nevermind the true fit is only available in a girly print

Quoting La-Belle-Vie:

Safest is to continue rear facing him at least to 2 Yeats old :). I

Today there is a deal on a true fit for 105.00 shipped! I'll get the link.

What is your budget?

Quoting meismith:

i would love to have the links :) i keep looking stuff up and i keep getting different answers i just want to know what is  safest for him

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
    other members!
    Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN