Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Carseat to 5 point ..... ????

Posted by   + Show Post

my son recently turned 1 and at his check up is weighs in at 19LBS and is 31 inches long. our carset says its safe for 5-22lbs and up to 29 inches long.

so i guess my question is do we keep him in the seat we have now until he reaches 22lbs or do we move him to a 5 point forward facing because of his length?

driving

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

by on Jan. 8, 2012 at 2:12 PM
Replies (41-50):
erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2012 at 3:31 PM
2 moms liked this

Your going to hate me cause its expensive BUT I suggest the Frontier 85 by Britax.  You won't find any seat that harness's longer because as we know each step up in seat is a step down in safety.  It harness to 85 pounds ot 20 inch torso length.  The nest closest is 65pounds and 18.5 inches.  AND it has been an IIHS( the Insurance Institute of highway safety) BEST BET booster three years running.  it also boosters higher weight than ANY seat.  We just got Erins.  It was 254.00 and thats the newest SICT model.  LOVE IT and even my freakishly tall DD will NEVER need another seat.  Once i realized she would indeed need another seat and found this one( over a yr ago) I started a change jar for the family.  Everyone kept dumping change and birthday money and extra dollar bills ETC.  I opened it last week and it bought her seat:)

Quoting Della03:

Yeah DS is 30.5 in and just hit 22 pounds so we are still able to RF in the Cosco. When we get taxes we are going to get something new. I'm still searching for a good more expensive seat that can contain him for a few years.

With dd we weren't as educated on the RF past 20 pounds and 1 year so we turned her a few weeks after she turned 1. She has the Safety first all in one I think it's called the Alpha Omega. We are getting ready to buy her a new seat. She is 35 in and 30 pounds. That seat is suppose to go to 80 pounds but I dont feel comfortable with keeping her in it bc her head already is right above the seat. It's suppose to turn into like a booster. I have the manual in the car. The inlaws got it for her first birthday so I accepted it. Yeah I need to practice what I preach and kick my own ass and get her a new seat. So what would u recommend for a 3 year old 30 pound 35 in tall??

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting Della03:

I switched DS to a convertible 5 point harness when he hit 20 pounds but kept him RF. He will be 13 months next week and will be staying RF as long as he is comfortable that way and guideline suggest for HIS safety. If you don't have a lot of extra money right now until you get your tax return or something, we bought the Cosco Scenari for around $40 on sale bc he hit the weight limit for his carrier car seat. It's all about the safety of the child. It is well rated in crash safety also. You really need to switch ASAP and you need to buy a NEW seat and not used. So if money is an issue I would recommend this seat. You can find it at Walmart now for as low as $55 until you can afford a more expensive seat as you wish. My manual is in the car but I believe it goes up to 40 pounds. RF up to 35 and FF up to 40 pounds.

Great points!!  Remember though rarely do you weight out of these seats unless you got a heftier child.  Usually you height out first.  To RF you MUST have 1 inch of shell above the childs head.  The height of the child for carseats is a estimate unlike the weight as children( people) are built differently.  My DD for example is extremely tall and long in torso....long neck ...and BIG head.  LOL  so that all contributed to her not being able to RF any longer in her seat.  She only made it to 2 yrs 3 months. 

Edit to add to RF straps MUST be at or below shoulder too.  :)

itsallabtthem84
by on Jan. 8, 2012 at 3:32 PM

This is what I would do. 

Quoting fatcat0908:

Put him in a rear facing 5 pt harness. Being too tall for the seat can affect his neck in an accident.

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2012 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this

YEA a carseat mom is here!!!!

Quoting La-Belle-Vie:

Nevermind the true fit is only available in a girly print

Quoting La-Belle-Vie:

Safest is to continue rear facing him at least to 2 Yeats old :). I

Today there is a deal on a true fit for 105.00 shipped! I'll get the link.

What is your budget?

Quoting meismith:

i would love to have the links :) i keep looking stuff up and i keep getting different answers i just want to know what is  safest for him

BluEyedCrazy
by on Jan. 8, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Maybe try a five point full size seat that rear faces? 

La-Belle-Vie
by on Jan. 8, 2012 at 3:33 PM
Then grab a convertible a keep him rear facing as it provides more safety in an accident versus forward facing.

Rear-facing is safest for both adults and children, but especially for babies, who would face a greater risk of spinal cord injury in a front-facing carseat during a frontal crash.

Rear-facing car seats spread frontal crash forces over the whole area of a child's back, head and neck; they also prevent the head from snapping relative to the body in a frontal crash.

Rear-facing as long as possible is the recommendation of the American Academy of Pediatricians, and can reduce injuries and deaths.   Motor vehicle crashes are the #1 overall cause of death for children 14 and under.

You can read more here: http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html

Quoting meismith:

our budget is around 150.00 ish and we dont care if he is forward or rear we just want to do what is safest for him.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Della03
by on Jan. 8, 2012 at 3:38 PM
Thanks! Im going to talk to dh bc that's really not a bad price for a few years if u think about it. Plus no price can ever cover the life of my child :) We may get them both one then. Taxes will be here in about a month or so and we don't go many places bc I'm a SAHM so we can definitely get them then

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Your going to hate me cause its expensive BUT I suggest the Frontier 85 by Britax.  You won't find any seat that harness's longer because as we know each step up in seat is a step down in safety.  It harness to 85 pounds ot 20 inch torso length.  The nest closest is 65pounds and 18.5 inches.  AND it has been an IIHS( the Insurance Institute of highway safety) BEST BET booster three years running.  it also boosters higher weight than ANY seat.  We just got Erins.  It was 254.00 and thats the newest SICT model.  LOVE IT and even my freakishly tall DD will NEVER need another seat.  Once i realized she would indeed need another seat and found this one( over a yr ago) I started a change jar for the family.  Everyone kept dumping change and birthday money and extra dollar bills ETC.  I opened it last week and it bought her seat:)

Quoting Della03:

Yeah DS is 30.5 in and just hit 22 pounds so we are still able to RF in the Cosco. When we get taxes we are going to get something new. I'm still searching for a good more expensive seat that can contain him for a few years.

With dd we weren't as educated on the RF past 20 pounds and 1 year so we turned her a few weeks after she turned 1. She has the Safety first all in one I think it's called the Alpha Omega. We are getting ready to buy her a new seat. She is 35 in and 30 pounds. That seat is suppose to go to 80 pounds but I dont feel comfortable with keeping her in it bc her head already is right above the seat. It's suppose to turn into like a booster. I have the manual in the car. The inlaws got it for her first birthday so I accepted it. Yeah I need to practice what I preach and kick my own ass and get her a new seat. So what would u recommend for a 3 year old 30 pound 35 in tall??

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting Della03:

I switched DS to a convertible 5 point harness when he hit 20 pounds but kept him RF. He will be 13 months next week and will be staying RF as long as he is comfortable that way and guideline suggest for HIS safety. If you don't have a lot of extra money right now until you get your tax return or something, we bought the Cosco Scenari for around $40 on sale bc he hit the weight limit for his carrier car seat. It's all about the safety of the child. It is well rated in crash safety also. You really need to switch ASAP and you need to buy a NEW seat and not used. So if money is an issue I would recommend this seat. You can find it at Walmart now for as low as $55 until you can afford a more expensive seat as you wish. My manual is in the car but I believe it goes up to 40 pounds. RF up to 35 and FF up to 40 pounds.

Great points!!  Remember though rarely do you weight out of these seats unless you got a heftier child.  Usually you height out first.  To RF you MUST have 1 inch of shell above the childs head.  The height of the child for carseats is a estimate unlike the weight as children( people) are built differently.  My DD for example is extremely tall and long in torso....long neck ...and BIG head.  LOL  so that all contributed to her not being able to RF any longer in her seat.  She only made it to 2 yrs 3 months. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Yeah I agree especially when you factor in the seat has a 9 YEAR life and you'll never need another and its top rated.  My only complaint with the SICT model is that they only have 3 covers right now.  Black brown and red....LOL  BUT this new model allows you to remove the cover for cleaning withoutun-installing the seat or straps or anything!!!  I got ours through my amazon Prime Membership.  Don't know if you kindle or shop there but if your a member this seat ships FREE for 48 hour delivery and for 24 hours delivery only 3.99.  I actually just signed up for the 30 day FREE trial of the membership and they STILL honored that.  

Quoting Della03:

Thanks! Im going to talk to dh bc that's really not a bad price for a few years if u think about it. Plus no price can ever cover the life of my child :) We may get them both one then. Taxes will be here in about a month or so and we don't go many places bc I'm a SAHM so we can definitely get them then

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting Della03:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting Della03:

Della03
by on Jan. 8, 2012 at 3:49 PM
I have an Amazon account but not kindle but I'll look into it! I appreciate the help! Hopefully they will have
More colors by then. Dd likes purple but red will do for her if not and probably brown for DS lol. Black always shows so much lint. Then again we have black leather seats and dh will probably want all black lol
Quoting erinsmom1964:

Yeah I agree especially when you factor in the seat has a 9 YEAR life and you'll never need another and its top rated.  My only complaint with the SICT model is that they only have 3 covers right now.  Black brown and red....LOL  BUT this new model allows you to remove the cover for cleaning withoutun-installing the seat or straps or anything!!!  I got ours through my amazon Prime Membership.  Don't know if you kindle or shop there but if your a member this seat ships FREE for 48 hour delivery and for 24 hours delivery only 3.99.  I actually just signed up for the 30 day FREE trial of the membership and they STILL honored that.  

Quoting Della03:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting Della03:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting Della03:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2012 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Your welcome.  I am so grateful for the carseat ladies here because of them I KNEW what seat I was aiming for and none of it took me by surprise.

Erin the first day kept complaining she wanted "the purple one" as her old seat was purple BUT her shoulders where barely even with the harness in top hole so we couldn't wait any longer :(  The regular model comes in more covers but we liked the EXTRAS this model offered for only an extra 30 bucks or so  I am sure with so many of us complaining it won't be much longer before they offer other covers.

You don't need a Kindle for that membership or to give it the 30 day free trail.  I mentioned that because I get to borrow books through that membership too on my kindle instead of buying them.

Quoting Della03:

I have an Amazon account but not kindle but I'll look into it! I appreciate the help! Hopefully they will have
More colors by then. Dd likes purple but red will do for her if not and probably brown for DS lol. Black always shows so much lint. Then again we have black leather seats and dh will probably want all black lol
Quoting erinsmom1964:

Mrs_Incredible
by on Jan. 8, 2012 at 3:59 PM
3 moms liked this

put him in a convertible rear facing seat. The recommendation is now two AND thirty pounds.  My almost 4yo is still rear facing as he has yet to hit thirty pounds (he's just a little guy)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured