• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

breastmilk question

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:16 AM
  • 29 Replies
Okay ladies so my pediatrition says that I can take bottles from the refrigerator and leave them out to room temp for when we are out and about. But what if those bottles she didn't drink? Have any of you stuck the bottles back in the refrigerator after being out for hours? I tried to call the hospital lactation consultant but they had already left. I'm gonna call her doc Monday but just was curious what your opinions are. Thank u u so much :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lusyl95
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:18 AM
I believe you can put them back on the fridge but not to refreeze after thawing. :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KieferLo52012
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:19 AM
5 moms liked this
No. Once they have been room temperature for more than an hour we don't refrigerate them again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BaileynMe
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't put them back in the fridge if they're out for hours, unless they've been in one of those little coolers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
busymom64064
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:20 AM

ummm idk? im no help....i know that you can get those portable bottle coolers. Something like this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/JL-Childress-Six-Bottle-Cooler/8811730

Sorry that I am no help but here is a BUMP for you!!

amonkeymom
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:26 PM

The cooler thing is a great idea!

Quoting busymom64064:

ummm idk? im no help....i know that you can get those portable bottle coolers. Something like this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/JL-Childress-Six-Bottle-Cooler/8811730

Sorry that I am no help but here is a BUMP for you!!

tffnyjune
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this

No, I've heard that once milk has been out for an hour at room temp you need to dump it out. 

ambemmons
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:13 PM
2 moms liked this
Check on www.llli.org to make sure. But if i recall breastmilk can be at room temp for up to 4-6hrs before putting in refridge. Its not like formula/milk and go bad after an hour. You dump after an hour after baby has actually drank from the bottle. But check those resources to make sure cuz im not 100%certain about how long after removing from the fridge. I do know bm stays good much longer than formula though because of the bacteria fighting antibodies in it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambemmons
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:14 PM
2 moms liked this
www.kellymom.com is also a good resource website too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
C8Baxter
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:16 PM
You're right. If you pump fresh, the milk can be left out for a few hours. If its been previously chilled/frozen, the rule does not apply.

Quoting ambemmons:

Check on www.llli.org to make sure. But if i recall breastmilk can be at room temp for up to 4-6hrs before putting in refridge. Its not like formula/milk and go bad after an hour. You dump after an hour after baby has actually drank from the bottle. But check those resources to make sure cuz im not 100%certain about how long after removing from the fridge. I do know bm stays good much longer than formula though because of the bacteria fighting antibodies in it

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambemmons
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:21 PM
thanks! Its been awhile since ive pumped, and my baby always had his bottle shortly after removing from fridge. Its always good to know. If anyone has the answer please do post cuz i want to know too lol.

Quoting C8Baxter:

You're right. If you pump fresh, the milk can be left out for a few hours. If its been previously chilled/frozen, the rule does not apply.

Quoting ambemmons:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)