Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Over a Year and Not Walking Yet!!!

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:05 AM
  • 7 Replies

My son is a year and almost two months now.  He is not walking, but he will walk around furniture.  He will not even try to walk on his own and resists very hard when someone tries to walk him by holding his hands.  He just automatically sits down.  His feet seem to turn in really badly as well, but I am not sure because every once in a while he will point them straight.  More times than not they turn in though.  To the point that I have really noticed this.  He even trips over them when we try to get him to walk because of this.  Is this normal?  I have asked the doctor and he said we should not worry about it right now, but he doesn't even try to walk on his own or show signs that he will be making any progress soon. Does anyone have any suggestions?  I am thinking about calling birth to 3 to see if they can help.

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MissLacey
by Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:16 AM
1 mom liked this
My son didn't walk tell after a year and a half. We ended up taking him to get tests run. Come to find out he had really loose ligaments and joints and couldn't support his own weight but the docs said he would prolly grow out of it and he basically did. He's 7 now and only slightly knock-knees...maybe your son could have a similar problem. The one test they did on him that stood out in my mind was when the took his thumb and pressed it against his arm and had no problem doing it. Lol kinda freeked me out when they did it and he kinda laughed at them.
Tannaris
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:23 AM
1 mom liked this
My DD is 16 months and is not walking yet. She cruises the furniture, she will walk while holding hands or when holding onto my pants. She just randomly stands up anywhere with no help but, just won't take the steps by herself.

I would say not to worry. Yet. But, your a momma so I know that's hard to do. Good luck with whatever you decide to do :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
redpatz
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:31 AM
1 mom liked this
All kids walk n talk at diff ages. It's very normal, if doc says don't sweat it, I wouldn't. My kids walked at a year but didn't talk til almost 3. I freaked b/c my step sis's kid was talkin full sentences and having conversations before 2. But, now my kids are teens, their grades are fine, and u know, they never shut up, lol. Encourage your son but don't force him. If he seems in pain though, get a second doc opinion. I'll bet he's just fine though!
C8Baxter
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:35 AM
I didn't walk until 15 months. I walk just fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WandBmamma
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:46 AM
Kids walk at different ages. My ds walked at 16mo and my dd at 11mo. As far as feet turning or waling on sides. They will do this until they become better walkers. Sometimes it takes 6mo-1yr!! Good luck mama
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BaileynMe
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:14 AM
My DD walked at 15 months. 14 months isn't that bad; they don't usually start to get concerned till 16-18 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elzmnsf
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:25 AM
I wouldn't like to go against your gut cause you are there day in and out... And we mamas sometimes just know and when that happens and docs write us off it pisses me off... But as anecdotal evidence, my kids were much like yours. Sometimes they seem to lag, but some kids won't do a thing till they are certain it will work. I had one that went from army crawl to walk practically over night, but I was worried cause she was army crawling for her main mode of transport till nearly 16 months, just a little cruising .... If you feel like this baby has weakness in the muscles or joints then you know... But if it is just weird without real worry then give the kid a little while longer and see where that takes you! My youngest didn't walk independent for any real number of steps till closer to 18 months, but I didn't feel anything was wrong and it wasn't! Had I had other signs of problems I would have pressed to find out the issue... Trust your gut, but try not to overreact... If that is the only thing than maybe just wait. If it is one of a few issues then maybe press to find out:.. Was the child a preemie? Cause that can slow things down... Does the child have other issues that can point to a bigger problem? Only you know this baby, so only you can really make these judgements... Gl mama, and keep us posted!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)