Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dog question

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:07 AM
  • 14 Replies
I have a 6 month old Corgi pup he's about 25lbs very muscular not fat very healthy but..... He poops so much! I mean seriously I swear he poops twice his weight! Other dogs I've had poop after they eat, I feed 2x a day, and that's it. Not him he poops like 4 to 6 times a day. I feed him Blue Basic puppy which is wheat free and good for sensitive stomachs. I've also tried Blue Wilderness which is totally grain free, Basic has rice, but it was 2x as expensive and he pooped just as much. My vet says its normal but it's driving me crazy! He also wolfs his food like I'm starving him even though I feed him the max for his weight. Corgis can get fat but his weight is good. He doesn't have worms so I need help! Anyone have this problem with pups or know how to fix it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KyliesMom5
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:36 AM

I am assuming you mean Blue Buffalo. This is a good food, but it may not be the right food for him.  Typically when a dog goes more it is because of the food so I would do a little research and try something else.  how much are you feeding him? If he is active he may need more because he is burning through the calories he is getting or he could be like two of mine and just be vacuums. One of mine inparticular will inhale his food so he has a special bowl that forces him to slow down.  I feed my dogs a food called Hi-tek rations which is very affordable and wheat free as well(some of their diets are not wheat free).

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Skidstop-Slow-Large-Color/dp/B0026PE1OI/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1326612886&sr=1-1

They make a smaller one as well

BlondeMommy85
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:45 AM
Ok thanks that bowl looks like a good idea. He gets 1 cup 2x a day so two cups. The bag says that's the max for a puppy who will be 40lbs full grown. His food is almost out so I think I'll look around and try another brand. I hate to say it but I don't want to give him more for fear of the poop! He gets a lot of exercise, we live in the country so he gets leashed walks and is able to run free, but his general personality is a lap dog. Thanks for the advice!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happinessforyou
by Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:16 AM

Call your vet, but if I remember right, puppies go more often. They have smaller stomachs and intestines.

M.I.A...P.O.W
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:08 AM

I feed Simply Nourish and my pup does not poop that much. It may be that that particular food just does not agree with his tummy. When he poops is it solid or soft?

Acid
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:07 AM

When he eats, put a ball, or a toy, or something in his dish so he has to work around the toy, which will slow his feeding.

Is the poop solid?  If it's solid and doesn't have anything in it to indicate worms I wouldn't worry.

PeaceMuch
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:40 PM
I agree with acid..and puppies just go more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tatiana7
by Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:44 PM
I think you are worrying too much about him having normal bowel movements. Dogs don't hold it in their intestines like humans do. Once it's digested, the bowels need to empty.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coffeelover1980
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:16 PM

also u can make a boiled hamburger or chicken with white rice or brown rice and it helps stop diarrea if he has that. you can research that online also for recipes 

nikki32230
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:17 PM
I don't know that you can fix it, puppies poop lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsallabtthem84
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Quoting nikki32230:

I don't know that you can fix it, puppies poop lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)