Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

new at my job and having issues with co worker

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:45 AM
  • 31 Replies

i started  a new job bartending. my first bartending position. i feel i'm doing alright, keeping up. but i have usually been on days and was only on one shift of closing, so all the duties i'm still learning. well, tonight i worked til2. i was scheduled with another girl. 2 hrs into our shift, she clocks out cuz we were kinda slow and just sat at the abr eating, i was just whatever i didnt care. then i got real busy and she only came to help me sometimes or when i would ask, so im suppperrr busy plus alllll the side duties there are. dont get me wrong, i have no isse doing it or doing it alone but it just irritated me that she was scheduled also and here i am doing it all, get what i mean? i work alone on days and im totally fine with it but if i was with someone else i would expect some help. so i was slighted irritated and i sorta just aksed her u know if she was gonna help with anything and she was super bitchy to me and said no that this is what she is suppose to do and i need to learn how to handle it alone. ok whatever.. i am doing ok, still learning but trying my best. she then gets super irritated and bitchy when i dont know the duties of closing( was only on closing shift 1 other time) and didnt do them on time and was mad that we had a lot of stuff to do at closing time, oook its because i was the only person trying to keep up with customers, cleaning & stocking glasses, cleaning tables, all that so yeah its hard to keep up one person. she was super super rude to me making mean comments. and saying next weekend she will just send me home early (i was as nice as i could to her i honestly kept my cool and calm)  i tipped her out half my tips to make her happy since  she had to show me the closing dutes and help me stock at the end. i feel like a big baby but it was just so overwhelming i just wanted to run in the bathroom and cry. do you think i am just being too sensitive or should i say something to the owner about how she treated me?  i get that bartenders at the bar usually work alone but if both of us are scheduled it would of been nice to just get a lil extra help and maybe a little less attitude. like when i asked her if she could call the last call, she got so mean and said no i needed to. what should i do should i just get over it?

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:21 AM
I think just deal with it. Don't make waves. I am sorry she was such a bitch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happinessforyou
by Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:14 AM

I think I'd asl her. At one job I had, I couldn't figure out why one gal was so mean. Well, come to find out, they hired me from the outside and didn't promote her. Ask her directly and ask her what her problem was.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Some people just suck. Deal with it I guess. You can't change em.

Just do your best and get home to your family.  :)

jabs54
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:45 AM
2 moms liked this

I think I would ask the owner if it is normal for one worker to punch out during a busy time and then get snarky when asked to help.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Also- as hard as it can be and doesn't excuse her behavior- don't forget that everyone MIGHT be going through something. Maybe it's the anniversary of a loss of a child. A divorce. A family death. Maybe she lives in pain you can't see. Do you KWIM??

You could always try the friendly angle, people love to talk about themselves and you might get her to smile and be softer.

And if all else fails, go back to my previous response lol. Some people just suck.

Judith3247
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:48 AM
bump!

cupcake_mom
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this
I would say something to the owner. there is no reason she should have clocked out like that. if she was scheduled to work till closing them she should have been working. i have worked in the restaraunt/bartending bussiness for a long time and that wouldnt fly at any bar i have worked at
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessimicuh
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:52 AM
i definately wouldn't have given her half your tips.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL!

I'm half and half on this. When I had alpha-dishwasher leaving me random notes on HOW to do my job- I aksed my boss. I wanted to know if this was standard and how they operate. Because I personally need dierctions to come from above me. Not from a dishwasher that is trying to control me from a completely different shift lmao. It got her to shut up.

On the OTHER hand- you never know what people's relationships are. This chick you're dealing with and the boss could be besties, family, you name it. So it could create a new problem. I would feel out the situation first. People will reveal EVERYTHING if you let them.  ;)

Quoting jabs54:

I think I would ask the owner if it is normal for one worker to punch out during a busy time and then get snarky when asked to help.

hollydaze1974
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:54 AM
Problem is... She clocked out. I wouldn't have tipped her, but she clocked out... After that it was kinda her decision on how to treat you. Think if I did anything I'd ask for a printed close up list
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)