Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Having trouble getting my kids to eat

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:23 PM
  • 16 Replies
My kids are 4 and 19 months and I'm having a hell of a time getting them to eat anything. I can't find anything either of them wants to eat except pb & j or McDonalds. I make mac & chz and they won't eat it. Or spaghetti or chicken nuggets. If we get it from McD's they devour it, but we can't afford to keep doing that. I'm just kind of at a loss. They are both fine on their growth charts but I'm worried it won't stay that way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy2justone
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:05 PM
2 moms liked this
I only fix my daughter something and she doesn't eat it, she doesn't get anything else till dinner. She is 4 and knows that she has to eat what I fix her. This isn't a restraunt and we don't eat cheap stuff that I can just throw it out and not worry about it. I also let her help me prepare the meal and set the table.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alexsmommy1205
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 12:34 AM

My son is almost 14 months.  He eats everything because I have always made sure that he ate a wide variety of healthy foods.  We were out one day and did not have a snack with us so we bought our son a happy meal with chicken nuggets, apples, and milk.  He would not eat the chicken nuggets.  He would rather have healthier foods because that is what he is used to. 

I have given him junk, such as cake and cookies, but I quickly realized that if I continue to let him have these types of foods he will not eat his healthy foods.  It is too easy for kids to get used to eating whatever they want.

I suggest that you stay consistent.  It may be hard, but do not let them have anything else until they either eat what you fix or it is time for the next meal.  I had a hard time getting my son to drink water.  I had to stay consistent and not let him have his juice until he drank some water.  Even if is was an ounce at a time.  Now he loves water.  It is hard at first, but it gets easier if you don't give in.

ljandjordansmom
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 1:38 AM
Whatever i make my kids have to eat or they wont get anything else. My 2 yr old is very picky but i just make his plate and if he doesnt eat then he has to wait till the next meal. He will also say he doesnt like whatever it is without trying it but everytime we have whatever it is he said he didnt like i just stick it on his plate and he eventually tries it.
heidi749
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2012 at 8:55 AM

My son eats a wide variety of food, he tell me Mc D's burgers makes his butt puke, so he will get the nuggets, but usually only eats a couple and then goes for the apple slices or a yogurt parfait....

They have already formed their eating habbits, so now you have to try to change them, it will be hard but not impossiable. just try and make it fun, make faces on their plates with the food, bright colours are also usually good and children want to try them, include them when making food and even doing the grocery's, take them into the fruit & Veggie section and let them each pick one fruit or veggie that looks cool to them, that they will want to try. If they like it great, if not, then they pick a new one at the next grocery trip, until they find all the fruits and veggies that they do like and do not. Fruits are usually easier with children then veggies, I find my sons fave veggies to be tomotoe, cucumber, asppargus and corn. He actually likes allot of veggies, but those are his favourite ones.. Good luck.

Pherlyce
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 9:26 AM

I remember the advice that our doctor told me way back then, when a child is hungry they will eat what is in front of them on the table, sometimes kids know how to work around us parents, so don't be alarm if they don't want to eat, they will if they get hungry.

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Jan. 16, 2012 at 9:39 AM

This is true, even though it is hard to watch your kids not eat.

Quoting Pherlyce:

I remember the advice that our doctor told me way back then, when a child is hungry they will eat what is in front of them on the table, sometimes kids know how to work around us parents, so don't be alarm if they don't want to eat, they will if they get hungry.

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Jan. 16, 2012 at 9:41 AM

I would say, stop taking them to McDonald's, so that they know it is not going to be an option. Make the pb&j as healthy as you can (whole grain bread, organic pb, organic sugar free jam) and just keep serving them whole foods from home.....they will come around! Good luck:)

Destiny907
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 9:54 AM

They will NOT starve themselves. No animal will. They WILL eat when they are hungry enough. 

Just do NOT offer any junk food. Don't even keep it in the house where they can see it.  Have regular meal times, for children. Routines help.  Have breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, at the same time each day.

Remember that their stomachs are roughly the size of their balled fists!! They don't eat much at one time, so if it seems to you they only ate a bit, yes, they will only eat a bit at one time.........

Sure, PB & J is fine- be sure to start them on good whole-grain bread right from the start, and you can try Sunflower butter too, or Nutella, to change out from regular peanut butter.

For dinner- we had and have  a saying here- you get what you get and don't pitch a fit- they have to eat whatever I have made for dinner or they don't eat.  I would give in, and say well then, you can have some bread and water but that's all.  You have to at least take ONE bite of everything I have made- you may find you like it.  Lo and behold, they usually did like at least ONE of the things- like the mashed potatoes...so at least they would eat that.

Kids DO like bland, their taste buds are not jaded as ours are- bland to us, is tasteful to them.  Also, they like easy to chew.

I remember as a child, not liking a lot of things- such as egg yolks! Some veggies and tough meats- but as I grew older, I liked them just fine.

There was a good reason in the past why people had "a nursery" and seperate childs' food- children ARE different than we are, that is for sure.

But just always offer good nutritional foods.  Try different fruits to see what one they like.  Try apple slices with peanut butter to dip them in! Jello made with fruit juice and fruit in it... whole grain crackers, see if they will like hummus or guacamole- I have some fussy eater grandkids, I know.  But I'm surprised at what I can get them to eat.

I have one grandkid who just doesn't "like" FRUIT.  How can one NOT like fruit?  BUT- she does like it, smashed up! She likes applesauce.  She likes pureed fruit in yogurt.  I can make fruit smoothies and she slurps them up!

So, be inventive- put good things in front of them.  They will eat what they need, they won't starve themselves!!

Eventually, they get a taste for more adult fare.

PinkParadox
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Just keep trying...they go through stages like that.  Both of my girls did that around 4.  They'll have a growth spurt soon and being eating like crazy.  Just try giving them a variety of small portions.  And, no more Mcdonalds.  That tons of calories and zero nutrition.

Acid
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 10:19 AM

It's very easy.

Make food, stick it in front of them and say "this is dinner tonight, we're not going to Mcdonald's, we're not eating something different" 

If they eat fine, if they don't, then they can eat it later. 

Don't give in...you're allowing them to demand you make different meals.  They won't starve themselves.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)