Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need your BEST cold and flu remedies!!

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:55 PM
  • 4 Replies

My son is in preschool and I WORK in a preschool. Recipe for disaster. I need some good tips on how to cure them fast. Favorite brands of medicine? Does zinc work? Thanks everyone!

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
BaileynMe
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:04 PM
Vicks on the feet and a pair of socks, warm bath to help loosen drainage (or run a hot shower and fill the room with steam) humidifier for the same reason...

If he's got a cough and isn't old enough for traditional cough medicine, Hyland's makes a honey-based one that's safe for kids 2+. We just started using Triaminic, since DD is old enough.

Lots of fluids, especially water if he'll drink it.

BRAT diet if there's vomiting/diarrhea. I try to wait on food until there's been an hour between episodes, and with fluids I'll do just tiny sips every 20 minutes or so till it starts to let up and her system can handle more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2justone
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I make honey cinnamin(sp) tea and drink it 3-4 times a day. Local raw honey though
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yngmommy21
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:41 PM
Airborne
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceciliam
by Cecilia on Jan. 16, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Do you have the flu or are you trying to be preventive?

Garlic is natures antibiotic, so load up on it during cod & flu season whether you are sick or not.

Ginger is also very potent at stopping a cold in its' tracks. Sprinkle some in tea or on your food....or you can sip on ginger tea.

Probiotics are a must to keep your immune system functioning efficiently.

Avoiding sugar is a BIG one. Sugar shuts down your immune fighting defenses.

If you are already sick. A humidifier will help soothe a cough and loosen up mucous and lots of fluids are important, particularly water. Stay a way from milk because it promotes the production of phlegm.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)