• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Leap pad?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:20 PM
  • 14 Replies

We are looking for a good gift for DD 4yo birthday, I have been looking at the leap pad but I'm worried about her growing out of it or getting bored with it. So what have you mommies heard about it? Was it good or bad and is it worth the money? App wise and all of the that. I should say that this is to match the PSP's that we are getting for DS1,2, and 3 for thier birthdays, so we need something that will keep her entertained and away from brothers things.

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
itsallabtthem84
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:26 PM
My 4 year old has the Lead Pad nd loves it. There are some great apps on their website. I don't think she will get bored with it for a few years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsTBailey
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:30 PM
It is good provided that you have internet access either at home or at your local library and a computer because you will need it to get started after you buy the LeapPad and for the upgrades that will come every once in a while! Our ds had a LeapPad but after the second upgrade my computer could no longer recognize it through the USB cable. Whatever you do if you buy one at Walmart get the Product Replacement Plan because we had to mail ours back and the put the money right on to the enclosed gift card. Then we bought him both Leapster2 and Leapster Explorer handheld games because before the LeapPad he had the Leapster2 and that stopped working because of the pen stopped working on it so we took that back for the LeapPad that he no longer has now Leapster2 and Leapster Explorer handheld games but you will still need a computer or laptop and internet access either at home or go to local library because you will have to do the downloads. Good Luck mama!! It was a great buy no matter what you choose! :-) sorry for the mini rant in btwn my response.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rebmarie90
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Quoting MrsTBailey:

It is good provided that you have internet access either at home or at your local library and a computer because you will need it to get started after you buy the LeapPad and for the upgrades that will come every once in a while! Our ds had a LeapPad but after the second upgrade my computer could no longer recognize it through the USB cable. Whatever you do if you buy one at Walmart get the Product Replacement Plan because we had to mail ours back and the put the money right on to the enclosed gift card. Then we bought him both Leapster2 and Leapster Explorer handheld games because before the LeapPad he had the Leapster2 and that stopped working because of the pen stopped working on it so we took that back for the LeapPad that he no longer has now Leapster2 and Leapster Explorer handheld games but you will still need a computer or laptop and internet access either at home or go to local library because you will have to do the downloads. Good Luck mama!! It was a great buy no matter what you choose! :-) sorry for the mini rant in btwn my response.

You have to up grade it? I got DS one for x-mas and I didn't know that. Crap..... I guess I should check his out..... I did buy the product plan though! 

Mommy2justone
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:35 PM
I don't know much about the leap pad, but I have a mobigo, and my 4 year old LOVES it! They all have games for different age levels though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sariah747
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:36 PM

It's all good, I actually own 2 leapster 2's (now that one sounded funny), they are all DS's things they loved them but we found the games repetative and expensive! I have internet access at home or I guess I could go the library, but anyways, I'm worried that the games would get repetative and boring. She loves my phone with all the learning apps on it, I honestly can't get it away from her!

Quoting MrsTBailey:

3greatkids751
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:40 PM
My kids have the Leapster Explorer and love it! I've heard too many bad reviews about the LeapPad for ex. It eats batteries like crazy and the apps are expensive. I personally wouldn't buy one for my kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsTBailey
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:39 PM
After about six months i went to the library with my netbook to upload the extra free stuff that came with the LeapSchool Cartridge and it claimed that i needed to update it to a newer version then after that was when the problem started for me. In the box it comes with a disc and USB cables with instructions to download the LeapFrog learning center onto your computer or laptop. I just suggested local library because we do not have internet access only through my iPhone with my calling plan. I might have forgotten to mention to bring your laptop or netbook to the library when you want to download for your child's learning.

Quoting rebmarie90:

Quoting MrsTBailey:

You have to up grade it? I got DS one for x-mas and I didn't know that. Crap..... I guess I should check his out..... I did buy the product plan though! 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momoftwo0406
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:42 PM
Vsmile is awesome we got my dd one at 3 now my ds5 loves it. There is a tons of games you can still get. Leap pad is not very strong. We had one and it fell and broke. :)

Quoting Sariah747:

We are looking for a good gift for DD 4yo birthday, I have been looking at the leap pad but I'm worried about her growing out of it or getting bored with it. So what have you mommies heard about it? Was it good or bad and is it worth the money? App wise and all of the that. I should say that this is to match the PSP's that we are getting for DS1,2, and 3 for thier birthdays, so we need something that will keep her entertained and away from brothers things.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rebmarie90
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 5:49 AM

Quoting MrsTBailey:

After about six months i went to the library with my netbook to upload the extra free stuff that came with the LeapSchool Cartridge and it claimed that i needed to update it to a newer version then after that was when the problem started for me. In the box it comes with a disc and USB cables with instructions to download the LeapFrog learning center onto your computer or laptop. I just suggested local library because we do not have internet access only through my iPhone with my calling plan. I might have forgotten to mention to bring your laptop or netbook to the library when you want to download for your child's learning.

Quoting rebmarie90:

Quoting MrsTBailey:

I already downloaded all the free stuff you get for it when you first get it. I just didn't know that you had to update it. 

heidi749
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2012 at 6:57 AM

My son has the Leapster explorer and really likes it. Do not know much about the pads, sorry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)