Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do people afford smartphones?

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 11:16 PM
  • 199 Replies
4 moms liked this
I received a check from my parents for Christmas that was intended to buy an iphone. When I went to upgrade, I was shocked to discover how much the service plan costs. It would have more than tripled what we spend now for 2 regular cell phones for dh and I and would have required a 2 year, $4,000.00 commitment. Now, we make a very healthy annual income, but seriously, who wants to spend thousands per year on a cell phone? How is it that people I know who make so little money or people on welfare can afford them? Don't even get me started on how all the teens and young adults who don't even have jobs can afford them but we who make nearly 100k yearly cannot!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 11:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
m0m23
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 11:16 PM

I dont use a data plan with mine.  Problem solved LOL

RaLeighsMommy11
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2012 at 11:18 PM
2 moms liked this
It's all about budgeting! It's not that expensive for my iPhone plan!! The data plan is only 20 extra dollars a month so I'm not sure how yours would have went up that much! Weird?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bella14308
by Member on Jan. 26, 2012 at 11:19 PM
1 mom liked this
It also depends on service provider... dh and i pay less than 200 a month and both have android phones with sprint. before this i had an android phone with metro pcs and paid 55 a month.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NelleEst091610
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 11:19 PM
Prepaid methods
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bennymommy3
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 11:20 PM
2 moms liked this

It's a way of life...pretty soon those old dinosaur phones will be nonexsistant and you won't be able to BREATH w/out a smartphone!!!!! Ahh..

Mommy22boys
by Member on Jan. 26, 2012 at 11:20 PM

upgrades and contract deals.  Honestly, I wouldn't't even have a cell phone if it wasn't for my brother.  He has an unlimited everything family plan.  I got my dad's old htc (the phone sucks, but works) and pay my brother $25 a month.  I don't do much with the internet on my phone, but I send a lot of email and texts, including video and pics.

Kim                                                                       
 teacherHomeschooling mom and reading book addict

“Home is the best place for teaching many things, first and most important of which is how to think for one's self.” ~Laura Ingalls Wilder

MIA0223
by Member on Jan. 26, 2012 at 11:21 PM
A 2 year contract fir us with 2 smart phones (samgung galaxy s2's) is $1848 total.
Not bad imo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matheson7
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2012 at 11:22 PM

We have an unlimited data plan, so my smart phone was only $30.00 for my plan, I have a Sprint HTC.

sreichelt26
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 11:23 PM
The phones can be expensive, yes, but the data plans really aren't that expensive.

We can afford it because dh works for Verizon and we get 50% off our bill and phones, tho we just get phones when they're having specials because it's cheaper that way. I got a 4G Android phone and he got an iphone when we upgraded a few months ago and it cost about $300 for both after taxes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lusyl95
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 11:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Our cell phone bill is just part of our budget! The cell bill is $320.00 is part of our life, no big deal, and we are not on welfare :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured