Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

okay i got a 18 month old. He sleeps about 10pm-9/10am and sometimes naps. When he does nap he naps for 2-3hrs. That is give or take his schedule. POINT IS idk if that's to much sleep it works for him most of the time. Any advise?

by on Jan. 31, 2012 at 12:16 PM
Replies (11-20):
Rose23113
by on Feb. 1, 2012 at 12:45 AM
1 mom liked this
There is no such thing as too much sleep, IMO.

ThePinkRobot
by on Feb. 1, 2012 at 12:45 AM
Maybe she is not on a typical schedule & she likes spending time w him at night. He sleeps late too so it works out just fine.

My 3.5 year old takes a 2-3 hour nap every single day. It's definitely not too long for an 18 month old.

Quoting proudmomof2653:

A 2-3HR NAP is way too long for an 18 mth. old, he needs at least 30min-1hr. tops that way he will feel sleepy early enough when bedtime comes and you can have mommytime to yourself, 10 pm is far too late for him to go to bed as well maybe 7 or 8:00.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
QueenB36
by Member on Feb. 1, 2012 at 1:42 AM
In my house my 2yo goes in her room between 7 & 9 pm, my goal is to have her asleep by 930 this way I have my own time. Either way she Wakes up between 630-730. This works for us & when she wakes up early she gets to watch a movie in my bed while I get ready for work. She was never one to sleep in, my lucky days are when she gets up at 8.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsm3
by on Feb. 1, 2012 at 8:15 AM

this.

if he's fine with it and is rested and happy, then why change it?

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

There is no such thing as too much sleep, IMO. This will change soon enough. You may look back on these days fondly.

AdoptingMommy
by Member on Feb. 1, 2012 at 8:20 AM
1 mom liked this
If your baby gets hungary he will wake up! most babies need the 12 hrs at night, As long as he is eating fine before bed your alright, just means he isnt getting hungary at night! My dd did the same dr said i was lucky:)

Quoting msmarcelle:

My 10 week old sleeps through the night(sometimes up to 12 hrs). Is that ok? I feel like I'm starving him.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Feb. 1, 2012 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this

If it aint broke don't fix it.

LindaClement
by on Feb. 1, 2012 at 10:58 AM

If he's sleeping, it's because he needs sleep.

His age is immaterial to the conversation. Some people need more sleep than other people. As long as he's not in some kind of circumstances that involve trauma he's learned to avoid by sleeping, there is no reason to address it.

LoreleiSieja
by on Feb. 1, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Toddlers and preschoolers need 14 - 15 hours of sleep DAILY.  That usually works out to 11- 12 hours at night, and a 2 hour nap. 

I would recommend that you put him down for nap at the same time every day, if you don't already.  Then, perhaps after 2 hours, you might consider waking him.  You don't want him to sleep so long that he has trouble falling asleep at bedtime.

Most parents do not give their children enough sleep.  When a child is acting "hyper" - all wound up and talking too loud and full of energy, that is the first sign that he is TIRED.  He is trying to stay awake, and so he keeps in constant motion.  If you wait until a child acts sleepy, then he is over-tired!

Sounds like things are working out great for you.  Keep it up - and remember that children need naps right up until they start first grade.  Kindergartens are Required to have a naptime!  Day cares are required to have naps for all children five years old and younger.  Some moms stop doing naps at around age two, because their child might go through a period of resisting it.  If you stick with it, though, the child usually returns to a good routine.  Visit any day care, and you'll see that more than 90% of their preschoolers actually sleep during nap time.  (Unless it's a really crappy day care.)

I posted this once, and the message disappeared... so forgive me if it now posts twice!

www.raisingcreativechildren.com

Ten Steps to Boost Your Child's Creativity

Pink_Sunshine
by on Feb. 1, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Kids sleep how they want. they make their own schedules. The only thing I do is enforce a set nap and Bedtime. That's it. I also do not let them sleep later than 4pm.

Conner_Ian
by Member on Feb. 1, 2012 at 7:35 PM

i dont like him sleeping past 4pm either.

his schedule is usually

9-10:30am wake up eat breakfast

12noon lunch

1pm nap

3-4 wake

5-6pm eat supper

7pm bath

9-11pm bed

Quoting Pink_Sunshine:

Kids sleep how they want. they make their own schedules. The only thing I do is enforce a set nap and Bedtime. That's it. I also do not let them sleep later than 4pm.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN