Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to get pee out of a matress???

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:12 AM
  • 16 Replies

Help.

My old dog has never in his life ever peed in the house. EVER! He jumped up on my sons bed last night and peed all over it.

The blankets and pillows are washable, but what do i do about the matress?

My life story can't be a LIFETIME movie...It has to be

a

mini-series!

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lilmama3189
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:14 AM
It sounds weird but Vinegar & Water.. Scrub it down,it will smell like vinegar when its wet but when it dries it doesn't smell..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Poor dog, he may have a urinary infection of some kind.The following is from

http://www.dogchatforum.com/dog-urine-removal-mattress.htm

For best results remove the mattress from the bed.

1. If your dog or puppy has just recently peed on the mattress and it is still wet blot up as much of the moisture as you possibly can. Use paper towels or a sponge. Place paper towels (or sponge) over the wet area and apply pressure by standing on it. Soak up as much of the moisture that you can. If you own a wet/dry vacuum cleaner that's even better. If the urine has dried proceed to step two.

2. In a jug or other container mix a solution of vinegar and water. 50/50. Pour about 50mls (or more if the affected area is large) Then once again blot or use your wet/dry vacuum to remove the excess moisture.

3. Next sprinkle a large handful of baking soda over the urine affected area.

4. Mix together a quarter of a cup of hydrogen peroxide. (use 3% strength) and a teaspoon of dishwashing detergent and pour it over the baking soda. Work it into the baking powder using your fingers (wearing rubber gloves) or with a scrubbing brush. Allow fifteen minutes for the solution to work and then begin blotting again. (or use wet/dry vacuum)

5. The Mattress then needs to dry completely. The ideal method is to put the mattress out in the sun to dry. This is not always possible in some climates. Other drying solutions are putting the mattress in front of a heater or using a hair dryer.

6. When the mattress is thoroughly dry vacuum off excess powder. Use a hard bristled brush to loosen up the baking soda if necessary.

proudmomof2653
by Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:18 AM

does that work for my daughter's mattress as well?

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:19 AM

If you can get the stain and smell out, be sure to cover the dry mattress with a waterproof matress cover. I use a waterproof cover, then a mattress pad on top of that to keep from sleeping on the plastic, then sheets.

mami.to.two
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:20 AM

BUMP!

danandsamsmom
by Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Yikes!  Make sure you get a waterproof mattress cover after you get everything cleaned up.  It will save you a lot of trouble!

OliviaW.
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Quoting lilmama3189:

It sounds weird but Vinegar & Water.. Scrub it down,it will smell like vinegar when its wet but when it dries it doesn't smell..

That's what I was going to say.

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Here is a site about human urine on mattresses

http://www.achildgrows.com/2008/07/30/cleaning-urine-from-mattresses/

Quoting proudmomof2653:

does that work for my daughter's mattress as well?

KRISTAL_WILDER
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:24 AM

I would do everything suggested to save it then use the spray urine remover. Its cheap at the dollar general.

janicealmetes
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:26 AM

oxyclean.  u can buy the powder and mix with water and scrub it on the mattress, or u can buy the spray.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)