Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need some advice

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:52 AM
  • 2 Replies

I am a single parent. I have a wonderful family and they are a great support.  Although sometimes my parents like to make things harder, unintentionally of course.  My 7 yr. old son, Tyler, has been having some issues in school.  I want to add, he has not had the traditional, two parent home life.  He doesn't see his father much but loves him to death.  I have sheltered Tyler from a lot including why his dad doesn't come see him or why he doesn't live with us.  I don't lie to him but I definately don't tell him the whole truth, I sugar coat it.  I have found that it works great for his dad but I am typically the "bad guy".  I can take that though. 

Anyways, Tyler is in second grade and not doing so well.  He's such a smart, loving kid but he's having trouble listening, doing his work, etc.  Most recently he has been making fun of others which I find can become more serious than the other issues.  We have had numerous talks, I have screamed and yelled, I have grounded, I even made him clean the floors (big mistake - he loved it.). Anyways I can't find anything that works. We have spent more time together. And there's no more tv or video games unless he earns it.

In the midst of it all, he is starting to slack in his school work because he is not listening and missing directions.  FYI - I have looked into ADD because that's what was recommended to me and I have mixed thoughts about it.  I won't do meds unless it is absolutely necessary which as of right now it is not.  He's a 7 year old boy with a whole lot of energy, that's it.

On top of all this, my mom gets mad at me when I discipline him.  She gets upset when he's grounded and she can't spend time with him.  When she's around my authority goes out the window.  Tyler knows this and uses it to his advantage. I feel ike I have failed him and that I can't handle him on my own but I have no choice. I'm all he has.  I need some help!!!

I know this is long sorry!  Robyn

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
IWannaLoveAgain
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:58 AM

There will be more than this time that you second guess how well you're parenting and if you're doing all you an to help your child.. truth is, every parent is this way once in a while, and this will pass. just stand strong and be consistant. thats all he needs. GL Mama!

LancesMom
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Hi Welcome! I agree! Stand strong! Being consistant is best with kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)