Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

anyone left unemployed after maternity leave?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:47 AM
  • 4 Replies

Perhaps I am too worried.perhaps not.but let me shgare this with you and see what you think.

FYI, I had my son as a single mom when i was 40 and it was a huge adjustement at that age.So i felt unable to cope with it all and I had to request time off (unpaid). As soon as my mtaenrity leave ended, I went on post partum depression leave for 2 months and then unpaid leave until June 1, 2012. I am supposed to return to work after that.

I do want to return to work. I love my job and I feel ready. But now that I feel ready, they told me that I can't cut the unpaid leave short as they had to put someone in my position and this person is on a contract until June 1.

it makes sense, I understand. But I am wondering if I REALLY have a job for June 2 and on.I would assume that just like they are protecting her rights, they might be protecting my rights and I believe from the union rep. that I have return rights.

Am i just obsessing too much? Should I start applying for jobs just in case?

My leave was granted "to rest" as requested by a doctor.I assume that if I get another temporary job, I am not resting and my employer might get upset.

I am cool not working until June 1 if I KNOW FOR SURE the job is mine after that.

So may be I am just worrying too much

what do you think?

thanks

Tana

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
RADmomma
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:53 AM

not exactly like you. But when I was six months pregnant with DD they closed my store. I got a call in the morning saying that they were closing all mall locations and I would be covered for my maternity leave.

The day before I was supposed to take leave they called and said that because my store was due to close before I was due to return they didnt have to pay my maternity. I fought it and they won.

So I had no job to return back to once I hit 7 months.

Good luck to you.

xomrs.chase
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:55 AM
I worked with an individual with a disability full time at my job. Recently, she stopped using services by my company. Because of buidget cuts there is not another FT position available. OH well I was planning on staying home anyway LOL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caro100
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:37 PM

If you're union, I think your gold.  They also probably want to make sure, you're really "back" so they don't have to get anymore temp. help, because they have to pay her or him anyway until June. They want you fit. 

Tana13us
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting caro100:

If you're union, I think your gold.  They also probably want to make sure, you're really "back" so they don't have to get anymore temp. help, because they have to pay her or him anyway until June. They want you fit. 

thanks caro100. I so hope you are right. They check with the union but we are not 100 % union but I guess the letter I have from them about my leave approval is "gold" .The chair of my department has spoken to me on the phone and he knows that now I sound like my old self again. There were some documents that I just finished and submitted even though I am off as a way of showing them that I do feel fine now and I am off medication.

I guess what got me concerned is that while I was un sick days or maternity leave, I still had access to my work email. Now that I am on an unpaid leave, my work email is inactive.

In a way, it helps as I dont have to respondto messages  saying  that due to compliucations I had to extend my leave.But it also made me think about job stability from June to June 2013.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)