• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please help! Anybody!!

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:40 PM
  • 23 Replies
My son will be 3 next month and I think it's time to get serious about potty training. I bought him undies and I put him on the toilet but he just kept peeing in his underwear. What am I doing wrong??? Where do I start??? I'm so lost I'm sure he is ready I just don't know what I'm doing...:( please help me! Anybody!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luv2nap
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:44 PM

7 days and 70 bucks!!!!!!!!!!

7 days of absolute no pull ups - just normal under pants.... 

then once he is thru the 7 days - you may have to get the carpet cleaned --70 bucks!!!  

no one wants to hear this but.......... you need to be firm with him that peeing in his pants is not okay... scold him... and then be on him constantly about needing to go... of course follow up with praise for his doing it right.... keep at it he will get it!  

nikki32230
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:47 PM
Thanks!

Quoting luv2nap:

then once he is thru the 7 days - you may have to get the carpet cleaned --70 bucks!!!  

no one wants to hear this but.......... you need to be firm with him that peeing in his pants is not okay... scold him... and then be on him constantly about needing to go... of course follow up with praise for his doing it right.... keep at it he will get it!  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jabs54
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this

IMO it doesn't work if it is a power struggle.  It's like eating...you can't "make them" do it.  I would find some toy he would REALLY like to have and explain that when HE decides to be big boy and pee in the toilet you will go shopping for the toy.  Or you can buy some inexpensive toys to give him at the end of the day if he keeps his pants dry.  Also, you can put cheerios in the toilet and let him "shoot them" with his pee.  Or put a little blue food coloring in it and let him turn the water green. Use your imagination and talk to him and get him excited about using the toilet.  Unless he wants to do it, it will just be frustrating for everyone.  Good luck.

Kellyjude1
by Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Your not doing anything wrong...Potty training sometimes takes time, and it is only when your child is ready that this will happen.  Try making a potty chart.  This may encourage him to want to be a "big boy" and go on the potty.  Allow him to pick out stickers and his own "Big boy undies"- explain to him how if and when he goes on the potty he can place a sticker on the potty chart.  Of course, praise him if or when he does actually use the potty!  Just try to encourage him.  Another thought is to read books to him about "potty time"- Hang in there.... 

nikki32230
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:28 PM
Great ideas! I'll try these thank you!

Quoting Kellyjude1:

Your not doing anything wrong...Potty training sometimes takes time, and it is only when your child is ready that this will happen.  Try making a potty chart.  This may encourage him to want to be a "big boy" and go on the potty.  Allow him to pick out stickers and his own "Big boy undies"- explain to him how if and when he goes on the potty he can place a sticker on the potty chart.  Of course, praise him if or when he does actually use the potty!  Just try to encourage him.  Another thought is to read books to him about "potty time"- Hang in there.... 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstasocermom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:29 PM

i totally disagree with that.

Quoting luv2nap:

nikki32230
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:39 PM
Yeah I thought that might make him think it's bad to go or something.... Idk I really think he would like the chart idea though

Quoting notjstasocermom:

i totally disagree with that.

Quoting luv2nap:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:49 PM

I bought one of those rug cleaners also. But I would set the kitchen timer for every 2 hrs, then 3hrs. and take dd everytime it went off. When it was a power struggle I did an incentive like m&m or sticker. There are several signs of readiness and one is dry diaper after naps.

mybabysmama35
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Consistency is key!!!! Just keep at it!!! He'll do it when he's ready!!! Good luck!!!

pami5633
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:35 PM

He will do it when he is ready, you have done your part and introduced him to the idea. My son was 3 and I taught him to pee outside one day on a tree 'Made wonderful designs and Presto that was the day he got it. Big boy panties and never had an accident. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)