Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with 5 kids under 5

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:31 PM
  • 25 Replies

How do you do it? What are some tips to keep a house clean? I feel like a mom of 5 all the time. Basically I feel like the mom of two adults, whom act like 5 year olds, two toddlers and an infant. Any help? Will post more later.

Ever since I've moved in my parents think I should do have the house clean spotless. By that I mean the laundry stays caught up, each room minus their bed room plus bathroom must be cleaned daily, cook for 'em, plus take care of my kids. The best I've been able to do is catch up the laundry once (they'll collect their clothes for about two weeks then send 'em out) keep the dishes so that there is always about one to two loads. For the time that I've been here it seems more complaining about how they want things then leg work doing it. 3/4 of the time I do see my parents they are vegging out. Their day is mainly spent out of the house. Bot of 'em work full time, my dad leaves about 6am while my mom leaves about Noon. My dad has health issues but refuses to address them the propper way, diet and exercise. My mother spends most of her time exercising and getting ready for work. My mom normally gets up around 8am. I don't know what to do.

These people have promised help but never given it. By help they have said that they will do anything to help my hubby and I get on our feet. I would love to get a job but can't drive legally. I don't even have my permit. The way I feel is that I'm their live in maid that has no time for her own kids. How can I keep their house clean and have time for my kids? I've tried going to them but they won't listen to me. The reason is that they don't think I have the experience to tell them squat.

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs_Incredible
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm the oldest of 5 under 5 and this is how my mom did it.  Everyone who was old enough to walk had a task.  The two 5 year olds were in charge of dusting, sorting laundry, folding towels, helping when asked with younger siblings, etc.  The ones who could walk were in charge of entertaining the baby (within eyeshot of mom getting stuff done) make faces, play with the baby, etc.  Also, they were in charge of retreiving diapers and wipes and throwing said tools away.  We also had a strict napping schedule.  The 5 year olds had to sit quietly in a room if we didn't want to nap (we could read, play a board game together - QUIETLY).  If too much noise was made, we were put to work with mom.  Good luck! :D

twinstartermom
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:02 PM

BUMP!

itsallabtthem84
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 8:21 AM
I think this is a good idea. Never to early to teach kids to help out.

Quoting Mrs_Incredible:

I'm the oldest of 5 under 5 and this is how my mom did it.  Everyone who was old enough to walk had a task.  The two 5 year olds were in charge of dusting, sorting laundry, folding towels, helping when asked with younger siblings, etc.  The ones who could walk were in charge of entertaining the baby (within eyeshot of mom getting stuff done) make faces, play with the baby, etc.  Also, they were in charge of retreiving diapers and wipes and throwing said tools away.  We also had a strict napping schedule.  The 5 year olds had to sit quietly in a room if we didn't want to nap (we could read, play a board game together - QUIETLY).  If too much noise was made, we were put to work with mom.  Good luck! :D

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lusyl95
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 8:56 AM
Teach kids to pick up after themselves early on, putting toys away from and putting their dirty dishes in the sink. Little byblittle they will get it. And Im sorry your situation is tuff right now, clean one room at a time, take your time. Best wishes!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
things4us5
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a 5yr yr old and 2 2yr olds. The only thing my man does housework wise is taking out the trash usually. We keep a clean house just fine and everythings always caught up.

As for what the kids do-

Well one 2yr old likes to help with laundry.She'll hand me the dirty  and I put it in the washer. I'll get it out of the washer and she'll put it in the dryer.She also likes to set the table.

The other 2yr old likes to help sweep the floor. If I give her permission she'll try to sweep it into a pile and then I'll do it. Otherwise I sweep it into a pile and she holds the dustpan and then emptys it.

The 5yr old actually is his not mine and she's a spoiled brat.But she does do a little around the house. She's in charge of bringing me the dirty laundry.Shes also in charge of gathering up all the random toys and putting them in the toyroom. She likes to help me cook a lot, which is sometimes helpful. She can even make one meal by herself now with my supervision and a little bit of help.(eggs,sausage,and toast).I'm so proud of her!

The kids also help me sort into piles whos clothes are who. I then fold and put away everything. Sometimes they'll help put away towels.

Rules that all the kids follow involving housework-

When your done eating clean your plate into the trash, then put the dishes in the sink.

Dirty clothes go into your basket,or right into the washer.

toys stay in 'their' half of the house. No toys come into the livingroom,kitchen,the main bathroom ect. They must stay in their rooms or the hallway outside of their rooms.Unless they have special permission (like when they're sick or grandma or grandpa are over-then if they ask they can have 2 toys each in the living room, and must put them away before bed)

All food and drinks stay in the kitchen at all times.

All the kids follow these rules daily.

As for how I keep the house clean-

I sweep the kitchen imediatly after each meal. The dishes are done as soon as there is a load. If the kids are being a pain in the butt then I just do a couple loads as soon as they go to sleep. The laundry is done daily, as soon as there is a load.If I'm sick or get behind on it then it's just load after load. I sweep the carpet every couple of days. Every couple of days I clear off the counters and dust. All messes are cleaned up as they are made.I mop prob twice a week, after the kids go to sleep. If it's a horrid must be done ASAP mess that needs mopped up I sometimes let the kids 'help' with their own sponge and just water in their bucket. They think it's a blast lol.

I cook two meals a day from scratch. Its not that hard, exshepshally if I cook extra of something and stick in the freezer for later when times short (chilis a good one to freeze-so many uses). My man usually takes care of lunch which he makes with the kids help (pizza sandwhichs are a fav). The kids also have 2 snacks a day.A fresh made dessert after dinner every other day also.

As for total deep cleaning well we do that once every other week. EVERYTHING is moved and cleaned under, wiped down, ect.

If you need any more advice or specialized tips pm me with as much detail as possible and I'll try and help

Oh and I spend tons of time with the kids.We even do a special craft or at home activity at least twice a week, usually more often.(forts,homemade playdough,painting,making birdfeeders,ect. thats just what we've done this week)We play together a lot everyday.We watch seseme street together everyday and then talk about what we learned.I also spend at least an hour with each of them doing 'school'.The 2yr olds are learning their colors this week, we'll revisit numbers next week.The 5yr old is working on subtraction this week, next week we'll do a total review and then work on anything that needs improvement.She knows her numbers,colors (including what primary colors mix to make different ones), letters, how to write when words are spelled to her,addition, ALL the shapes,and much more. After the review week then we''re going to teach her how to read. She already knows all the letter sounds so it might not be to bad, she can read a couple small words already.

lilbitcrazed
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 10:49 AM

I'm not sure that you really need lectured about how to clean. I think that the real problem lies with your relationship with your parents. I suspect that they are treating you like their teenage daughter instead of a grown woman with children. Maybe they think that they are teaching you discipline through housekeeping, or maybe they are just glad to have you clean up after them, I can't be sure. Regardless, you aren't happy with this situation and if you want to change it you are going to have to do some talking. I suggest that you start off by telling them how much you and dh appreciate their help etc. Then go on to present them with a shedule of doing things the way that you would like to do them. Go over point by point with a short explanation if necessary and that can be a starting ground for negotiation. If this doesn't work out, then just get it over with, scrimp and save until you can get out of there. You might begin to resent your folks and you don't want to put a rift in the relationship. Good Luck! Sounds like you have a lot on your plate!

MamaBear2cubs
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 11:39 AM

I have my kids help me, they are 3 and almost 2 and can do small tasks.

LindaClement
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

All the moms I know in this situation either have house help (like a mother's helper, or grandma or auntie or someone) or have made a decision to have very little 'stuff' in the house to make a mess with.

When kids have 3 outfits, you can never have 7 loads of laundry in a day.

When kids have 4 toys each, it's impossible to snow the living room under in toys.

You may find that FlyLady helps organize your time more effectively, to be able to do several things at once... and keep track of it all.

justme91755
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Laundry baskets!! as you go through a room pick up any thing that does not belong and put it in the basket, next room you put away anything in the basket that belongs in that room and pick up and put into the basket anything misplaced.   Worst case scenario you can shove the basket into the closet if someone shows up and sort it later. Laundry, start a load befroe dinner, through it into drye,r after kids are in bed while you watch tv, you can fold it I did all my shopping on one day and Cooked for the week the next day. You can cook several meals at the same time and you only have to clean up once  . Then just heat and serve during the week.  Keep a tote of cleaning suppleis handy and a swiffer and just do quick wipe  and clean up as you go.  Like wipe the table and quick swiffer the floor. When we moved back in with my folks while our house was being finished my mom expected me to do everything too because we were living there rent free and she really missed it when we left. (I am a much better cook).  But we aslo had a built in babysitter if we needed to go out in the evening so I felt it was fair. Good luck with your situation You will have your own place one day.  Maybe this is their way of pushing you back out of the nest.

Pam_8787
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Quoting lilbitcrazed:

I'm not sure that you really need lectured about how to clean. I think that the real problem lies with your relationship with your parents. I suspect that they are treating you like their teenage daughter instead of a grown woman with children. Maybe they think that they are teaching you discipline through housekeeping, or maybe they are just glad to have you clean up after them, I can't be sure. Regardless, you aren't happy with this situation and if you want to change it you are going to have to do some talking. I suggest that you start off by telling them how much you and dh appreciate their help etc. Then go on to present them with a shedule of doing things the way that you would like to do them. Go over point by point with a short explanation if necessary and that can be a starting ground for negotiation. If this doesn't work out, then just get it over with, scrimp and save until you can get out of there. You might begin to resent your folks and you don't want to put a rift in the relationship. Good Luck! Sounds like you have a lot on your plate!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)