• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

UPDATE--Speech Developmental Delay in 18 Month Old

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:36 PM
  • 36 Replies
UPDATE--we got into touch with Birth to 3. They are sending us Some paperwork to fill out so they can do an evaluation. They work with kids who are 25% or more behind. The lady I spoke with said DS sounds like he is right around the 25%, and may or may not need some assistance.

My son just turned 18 months and had a well child checkup yesterday. His pediatrician asked how many words he says, and we guessed around 15. She suggested we see a speech therapist. This has me very concerned, as he is excelling in every other area and his speech also seems to be improving, but we cannot make sense of most of what he says. The doc suggested waiting a month before consulting a speech therapist. Has anyone else been through this? What can we do to help him?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LoriAnn87
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:40 PM

My son went though early childhood invertion to help out his speech and it was the best thing we did because it help him out a lot but also they help us out with getting him into special ed preschool too. They came out to my house and tested him in other areas but decide he only need speech and nothing else. He got speech once a week at my house for about a hour until he turn 3 and once he turn 3 he was turn over to the school district for more help in speech. My son started going to preschool when he turn 3 and within a week we started notice a big inporvment with my son's speech and we aslo notice how much he his social skills were getting better too. Now my son is 4 and still in preschool (pre k) and he is doing really well. He goes to preschool 5 days a week for 2 hours and he gets speech in school twice a week and once a week in class group too. There is nothing wrong with looking into early childhood and having him testing now but the best part it's free. I'm glad we did for my son.

Mrs_Incredible
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Some kids are just late talkers, but if there is a speech delay, the earlier you catch it, the easier it is on the kid :) My son was severely speech delayed and he's a very bright child.  Turns out he was almost completely deaf and that was the cause of his delay.  

jabs54
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't panic if I were you.  I think 15 words is pretty good.

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this

HMMMM  seems awfully young to me.  My DD was a later talker and no she won't shut up............LOL YOUR child seems well within the norm to me.  My DD didn't do little words here and there when she finally started talking she was doing 3 word sentences.  Every child is different.

pami5633
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:53 PM

My son didnt talk until he was 3/4 and what he did say no one could understand him but his sister. A bit frutrating, but he will get there. Boys seem to talk less and later than girls. Imagine that.. lol  He;ll be fine don't fret, a little speach therapy worked wonders for my son. owever he still isnt a talker. Best of luck, All will be fine.

MakisMama
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:07 PM
I'd rather he do the speech therapy and not need it than he need it and not do it. I think our plan of action will be to cut tv out at night (he is at a daycare during the day) and focus more on puzzles, books and flashcards. If. He we don't see a significant increase in his vocabulary in a month, we'll look into having him assessed by a speech therapist.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Domonicsmom
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:19 PM
1 mom liked this

15 words is good my daughter only said mom til she was three. now shes 4 and talks just as good as the rest of the kids. they talk when they r ready!!

bbmkfo03
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:28 PM
2 moms liked this

Wow, I think 15 words is pretty good for 18 months old. My DD didn't know that many words at 18 months but by 20 months it's like she woke up one morning with a vocabulary! I suggested speech therapy at her 18 month check up too but my doc said to wait until 20 months and she was right, all of a sudden dd started talking. My DD is now almost 3 and speaks better than some of her friends who started talking before her. There's no need to panic even if your child does need speech therapy, it's only there to help and from the research I did when I thought my dd would need it, most kids are totally caught up by age 2.

MakisMama
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:34 PM
Thank you! This is relieving. We are also working on some Greek with him, so that could be confusing him as well. I did not have this concern at all until the doc brought it up. We are in the process of finding a new pediatrician, and will be bringing this topic up at the "meet and greets" we have scheduled.

Quoting bbmkfo03:

Wow, I think 15 words is pretty good for 18 months old. My DD didn't know that many words at 18 months but by 20 months it's like she woke up one morning with a vocabulary! I suggested speech therapy at her 18 month check up too but my doc said to wait until 20 months and she was right, all of a sudden dd started talking. My DD is now almost 3 and speaks better than some of her friends who started talking before her. There's no need to panic even if your child does need speech therapy, it's only there to help and from the research I did when I thought my dd would need it, most kids are totally caught up by age 2.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jadegirl1819
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:35 PM
2 moms liked this

I wish I had gotten my son in when he was young.  I waited until he was 3 (he had other medical issues going on).  We got his speech therapy through the county for no cost (and we aren't low income).  I wouldn't wait a month.  Our county program only runs during the school year.  I called in March and then had to wait a few weeks for his eval, then they had to go over it in a meeting to decide that he needed speech therapy, etc.  By the time we were good to go the school year was almost over so we had to wait until September to start speech therapy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)