Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Pediatrician?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:46 PM
  • 24 Replies
A few weeks ago, DS injured his arm at daycare. I called his pediatrician's office, who told me to take him to the hospital's ER because the 2 doctors in the practice don't get in until 11am (they do rounds at the hospital in the morning) and they do not have an x-ray machine. An ER visit and a $250 copay later, DS was diagnosed with nursemaid's elbow (dislocated elbow), which from what I understand is a very common injury in toddlers (he is 18 months old). I feel that my pediatrician's office could have saved us an unecessary copay and an unecessary trip to the ER. At several well child checkups, we have waited an hour past our scheduled appointment time to see the doc. The office staff are very friendly and love to see DS, and the doc is very helpful and always spends extra time with us when she finally gets in to see us. We are debating finding a new pediatrician. Thought?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marchantmom06
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:47 PM
They would have ordered X-ray anyways. But if you are unhappy go elsewhere.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rebeccasmly
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:51 PM

They would have ordered an xray anyway. You may not have had as high of a co-pay depending on your insurance though. My ped had me bring in my son when he fell and hurt his elbow to be on the safe side. After looking at it, his ped said that while he didn't believe there was anything wrong, he was ordering an xray anyway because something felt a bit off. It turns out he did fracture a very small bone in the elbow that still allowed him to use it.

-PB
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:52 PM

I would think the doc would have ordered x-rays anyway so I don't know they could have saved you the co-pay.  However, I would never wait 1 hour past a scheduled appointment so I would find a new ped. 

xo.MommyW.xo
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:55 PM
2 moms liked this
This.

op you are using this to justify your dislike. If you want to go somewhere else than go.

Waiting is common. Remember that. The child that the dr is spending extra time with, making the next appt late - could be yours

Quoting marchantmom06:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bbmkfo03
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Well with your son's accident I would have gone to the ER anyway. But as for switching doctors, that's up to you. I would hate to wait an hour in the waiting room but how much do you like this doctor? Is she worth all the waiting? I did switch my DD's pediatrician because she wrongly diagnosed her with RSV (but then said she didn't need treatment) and when she was a newborn this doctor was trying to make me feed her formula when I specifically said I didn't want to. She was rude and also made us wait a lot, but I switched mostly because of the whole RSV thing!

caro100
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:03 PM
They would have done, the xray anyway, then sent you to an orthopedic for a consult after putting it back in place. I used to wait a long time in office. In fact, took my Mother to dental surgeon yesterday. Appointment at 1:45pm got out at 4:30 pm. Most of that was in waiting room. Long waits are fairly common, research it, but if that's the only issue, I would probably stay with same doc. If you've been waiting more than 15 min past your appointment, go up to the office staff, that is what our dr. office does.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MakisMama
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:19 PM
See that is why I'm so torn--I love the doctor and office staff. I'm slightly irked by the long wait times and I feel that if we were to see a pediatrician in a larger office that has a lab and x-ray in house, maybe we would not have been sent to the ER and could have saved some money. I understand that the doc runs behind because she does spend so much time with her patients, and I very much appreciate the time she dedicates to us. My boyfriend is very upset about the wait times and the ER visit, and wants to find a new pediatrician. I make the final decision typically when it comes to our son, but I'm torn!

Quoting xo.MommyW.xo:

This.

op you are using this to justify your dislike. If you want to go somewhere else than go.

Waiting is common. Remember that. The child that the dr is spending extra time with, making the next appt late - could be yours

Quoting marchantmom06:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xo.MommyW.xo
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this
My pedi doesn't have xrays and stuff on site. I wouldn't go to someone just because they did. My pedi has been my familys pedi for over 30 yrs. I would gladly wait an hr for him.

Quoting MakisMama:

See that is why I'm so torn--I love the doctor and office staff. I'm slightly irked by the long wait times and I feel that if we were to see a pediatrician in a larger office that has a lab and x-ray in house, maybe we would not have been sent to the ER and could have saved some money. I understand that the doc runs behind because she does spend so much time with her patients, and I very much appreciate the time she dedicates to us. My boyfriend is very upset about the wait times and the ER visit, and wants to find a new pediatrician. I make the final decision typically when it comes to our son, but I'm torn!

Quoting xo.MommyW.xo:

This.

Quoting marchantmom06:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jadegirl1819
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think you should use the ER trip to make your decision just as pp's have said.

I wouldn't be happy with long wait times at every appt. but if I really like and trust the doctor then I would deal with it.  I would try and get the earliest appt. available in the day though to minimize the wait as much as possible.

5BMom
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:34 AM
I drive 75 miles one way to a pediatrician I finally like...even today.... I called and ask for a recommendation for DD to participate in horseback riding lessons to help her balance and some sensory issues.... I had a call back in 15 minutes and the paperwork within an hour... We never wait.... She books only 3 appointments an hour.

If you are unhappy, switch
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)