Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you know what your child's first apgar score was?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:56 AM
  • 42 Replies

Do you know what an apgar score is? I guess a perfect score is 10 and they take them 1 minute and 5 minutes after birth. My son's first was a 5 and his second was a 9. 5 seems pretty low, does anyone know what they do if its lower than that?

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs_Incredible
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Yep :) My son was a 7, they took him immediately to the nursery because of what part of the score was low.  They score 2 points for each thing breathing, color, movement... I can't remember the rest bb in a sec so I can look it up.  My son had a one for breathing a one for movement and a one for color, so they took him up to make sure his lungs were functioning okay.  A baby almost NEVER gets a 10.  My second son had a 9 one minute and a 9 five minute.

Mrs_Incredible
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:10 AM

And yes, a five is low, but they probably sat there working on him getting his number to go up.  My first son's was a 7 and a 7 also after five minutes. 

darcibeisheim
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:36 AM

all of my kids were 9 and 10.. 5 is really low and they start immediate care such as aggressive warming, oxygen or breathing for him, maybe even cpr depending on what part of the score was low..

darcibeisheim
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:36 AM

was your son a preemie or did you have a hard delivery?

prinzesstephi
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:38 AM
1 mom liked this
My gastro baby scored 9 on his 1 min
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nikki32230
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:39 AM
My sons first was a 9 and I didn't know they did a second, I don't remember lillys but it was a little lower maybe an 8??? I make healthy babies! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dolphin2000
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:40 AM
9 then 9
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ashleeb293
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:41 AM
Both 9.9
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmencl3210
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:42 AM
His first I wanna say was like an 8. Not sure after that. Less than 24 hours after he was born he had surgery and got sent to a different hospital that had a NICU
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)