Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sleep issues, when to see a doctor?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:47 AM
  • 14 Replies

I have sleep issues.  I've had them for... forever.  I'm a sleep walker and I have night terros, I also have raging insomnia.  It's been this way for as long as I can remember.  I will have 4-5 nights of being up all night (for instance it's nearly 4am where I am).  and then I will have one good night's sleep, then back to no sleep.  I function well like this, but it pisses me off.  I actually get mad when I hear hubby sleeping next to me and I'm just staring at the walls in the dark.  I've tried EVERTHING.  the last time I had a sleep study done I was 12.  But I've done Ambien (I'm allergic to it though).  I've done melatonin, which only worked temporarily (5-6 months?).  I've done hypnosis, which worked really well for a while.  but now, I'm back to it.  I feel like shit when I get no sleep and feel awesome when I get a full night's sleep, but I just do not understand how to get myself to sleep at least 6 hours a night EVERY night.  I'm a SAHM, but we lead a very active lifestyle.  Today I took my kids out for the morning, came home for lunch, we watched a movie after lunch, went to an indoor play area and I walked a good 2 miles, picked hubby up from work, went somewhere else, had dinner, came home, went to a movie with my SIL, came home 6 hours ago and I've been mostly staring at the cieling.  Got up did some light reading.  Had some tea, laid back down for an hour.  Now I'm up again.  I know the no TV, no computer rule.  I tend to follow it, but really I can only keep my eyes closed and try to relax for so long before every sound is amplified and makes me crazy.  The last time I talked to my doctor about it, she told me that I just needed to quit worrying about it and relax, there was no reason.  UGH!  Do I get a second opinion?  When is it serious enough to contact a doctor.  And yeah, my WHOLE life has been this way.  Drove my parents insane. 

Full time mom, part time vegetarian!

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:58 AM

What kind of tea did you drink?  I would ask for another sleep study to be done.  There is almost always a reason for insomnia.  That being said I know someone who suffered from insomnia for years to the point where they did not sleep for months at a time. The body needs sleep.

Mrs_Incredible
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:00 AM

sleepy time camomile.  It lied.  LOL. 

Quoting frndlyfn:

What kind of tea did you drink?  I would ask for another sleep study to be done.  There is almost always a reason for insomnia.  That being said I know someone who suffered from insomnia for years to the point where they did not sleep for months at a time. The body needs sleep.

Full time mom, part time vegetarian!

Mrs_Incredible
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:59 AM

I feel like crying.  This perfectly describes most of my life http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_sleep_phase_disorder I think it's definitley time to see a doc.

mrstheriault
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:05 AM

oh holy friggin crap. so that's what i have??!! ding ding light bulb for me. yeah it's 4 am now... i'll be getting to sleep in 2 hours and waking up at 4pm... i'm gonna read more about this. 

Quoting Mrs_Incredible:

I feel like crying.  This perfectly describes most of my life http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_sleep_phase_disorder I think it's definitley time to see a doc.

bmw29
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:07 AM
My son has RLS, night terrors and sleep walking. After 10 years of dealing with his sleep issues my sleep rhythms have been thoroughly fucked up. I can't sleep until about 1 am and then I feel so guilty if I sleep past 6:30.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs_Incredible
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:11 AM

First thing I do in the morning is going to be calling the sleep clinic here in town.  I stayed up late tonight (3:30-4:00 is normal "bed time" for me) and then I usually wake up (if someone's home to take the kids to school) about 11.  On the days DH is not off, I muddle through the day and nap when the kids are at school.  I seriously am in tears after reading more about it.  This is like describing me to a T.  

Quoting mrstheriault:

oh holy friggin crap. so that's what i have??!! ding ding light bulb for me. yeah it's 4 am now... i'll be getting to sleep in 2 hours and waking up at 4pm... i'm gonna read more about this. 

Quoting Mrs_Incredible:

mrstheriault
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:15 AM

i'm wiping the tears away after reading too. you are not alone. this has been me since i was 12. i'm in the severe catagory too. i'll be looking to get medical advice. 

Quoting Mrs_Incredible:

First thing I do in the morning is going to be calling the sleep clinic here in town.  I stayed up late tonight (3:30-4:00 is normal "bed time" for me) and then I usually wake up (if someone's home to take the kids to school) about 11.  On the days DH is not off, I muddle through the day and nap when the kids are at school.  I seriously am in tears after reading more about it.  This is like describing me to a T.  

Quoting mrstheriault:

Quoting Mrs_Incredible:

charliebean
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:15 AM

Lack of sleep like that can lead to heart problems and even death. You need to seek a second opinion,

Mrs_Incredible
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:17 AM

I don't remember EVER having "healthy" sleeping habits.  Ever.  As a kid, I used to get in trouble for being out of bed, etc.  Then I finally got SOME measuer of relief (but was drugged, basically).  Then the drugs went away to combat the haze, and I just have dealt with it.  

Quoting mrstheriault:

i'm wiping the tears away after reading too. you are not alone. this has been me since i was 12. i'm in the severe catagory too. i'll be looking to get medical advice. 

Quoting Mrs_Incredible:

Quoting mrstheriault:

Quoting Mrs_Incredible:

Mrs_Incredible
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:19 AM

Seriously, first thing I'm going to do is call the doctor Monday.  I've never actually sat and decided to look up my sleep symptoms before (I feel kind of like an idiot) because I have always accepted that this is my reality. 

Quoting charliebean:

Lack of sleep like that can lead to heart problems and even death. You need to seek a second opinion,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)