Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to explain death to a child?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:26 AM
  • 3 Replies

On saturday we lost my grandma to alzheimers. She was older and passed in the night. I have two children that were very close with her. My older daughter was very close with her and is 6 years old. I havent told her yet because I am afraid how she will react. She has asked me a few times why I am so sad and I keep telling her that I got some sad news and that I will tell her at another time( I was waiting for my husband to come home so we could talk to her together) I dont know how to start the dialouge or even if I should tell her at all? Should I wait for her to ask me? Or should we just sit her down and tell her that grandma passed away and is in heaven with god etc.?

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
BaileynMe
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:38 AM
I definitely think you should tell her. At 6, she's old enough to understand on a basic level. Besides, she's already noticed you're sad; not knowing why could just freak her out.

I would tell her that grandma was very, very sick and old (I would add the old just because I wouldn't want her to think people around her are going to die every time they have a minor illness) and that she went to heaven, where she won't be sick anymore. Maybe you can do something special with her as a memorial.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caro100
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:43 AM
Yes tell her she passed away, and is with God. and answer her questions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jazzyandpat
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this

When my momma passed my lil girl was about urs age.. I had told her that God thought it was time for her to come home to live with him.. He need another angel to help look over her and her brother when momma couldnt..I explained when she passed away from and how she passed. I also explain what she would see when she go to the furenal home.. How it would look like her grandmother was sleeping but was not sleeping.. I made sure it was on her level... Along with all of this I told her if she has any questions she needs to ask them and i will explain them to the best I can...

I am sorry u are going though this.. Prays and t houghts to you and ur family...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)