Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddler Hit By Falling Television - What does your home inventory show you about toddler safety?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:03 AM
  • 12 Replies

Toddler Hit By Falling Television Should Wake Us All Up

Posted by April Peveteaux on February 12, 2012 

toddler tv dangerA simple headline in the Chicago Tribune that described a toddler's condition as "serious" instead of "critical" stopped me in my tracks. A two-year-old girl was seriously injured after a 29-inch television fell on top of her. While you might stop and say, "Who lets a toddler play with a television?" it's really not that simple.

After all, big screens attract toddlers like flies to honey. I can't count how many times I've told my own toddler to stop touching the screen. And as a parenting writer, one who has researched child-proofing about 15 too many times, I was shocked to realize my own television was nowhere near bolted to the wall. In fact, we've got quite a few things that could topple down on an unsuspecting, but incredibly curious little person. And you probably do too.

We did a quick check in our house for toddler dangers and this is what we found.

While our television is set back and highly unlikely to fall on a toddler, or anyone, we do live in California. Hello, earthquake. So that's one huge mistake. More frightening, we have a very tall dresser (about five feet) and an even taller armoire in our bedroom that is not braced. Our kids love to play in our room, and no, we're not always in there with them. Did I mention we live where earthquakes happen? And finally, while the dresser in their bedroom is deep into a crevice, that doesn't mean it's any less tempting to climb. Third major fail.

Basically, we have two things in our entire home that are bolted to the wall, and we'd better get our act together quickly. Which I just said to my husband, while giving him the stink eye. He's getting the tools out tomorrow.

What does your home inventory show you about toddler safety?

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:40 AM
My tv is mounted on a wall.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kiwismommy19
by Diamond Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:07 PM
Not much. But I don't have a toddler anymore, I have an almost 7 year old who knows better than to pull on and climb things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OutlawMUA
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:26 PM
Our tv is wall mounted and nothing else is tall or tippable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hollydaze1974
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:52 PM
Still have to brace the bookcase, tv and curio cabinet are mounted, so it's just the book case. I believe there may be a dresser or two in his room... OH! And the nail polish drawer! I have no where to move them, but he isn't in the bathroom unless I am, but they are sneaky...that drawer is a bigger worry to me than the book case actually. Okay, reading this, I'm not as "on it" as I thought! Great! Thanks! Lol
5BMom
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:13 PM
our small tvs are all light weight flat screens and the big tv is a 72in one piece unit that takes several 200 pound men to even move, so falling is unlikely. We are not in an earthquake zone. Our bookshekves are solid cherry builtins, so they won't topple.

I think we are pretty safe... My biggest conern is the creek on the property... But the kids are never outside alone
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceciliam
by Cecilia on Feb. 13, 2012 at 10:58 AM

We also have wall mounted TV's and I taught my son very early on that furniture is not for climbing on.

bmw29
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 10:59 AM
My son is 10. No more toddlers YIPEE!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 11:00 AM
Our tvs are mounted and tall furniture is secured
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aslen
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 11:02 AM

ours is bolted to the entetainment center through the bottom. It's only 32 inches, but the entertainment center has outlived both my boys with no toppling, so i'm not worried. It's a lower corner unit

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 13, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Wow, good points! And we did have a book case fall on our toddler. What saved him was the lower cabinet doors swung out and braced the cabinet enough to keep it from crushing him. After that we hooked the cabinet to the wall. But it is true that our dressers, etc are not attached to the wall.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)