Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice About My 2 yr old

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 3:21 PM
  • 6 Replies

I have 2 boys (4 yrs, turn 5 in March and 2 yrs).  I'm pregant with my 3rd, a little girl but she is not expected to live long.

Anyway there are a few things that concerns me with my 2 yr old and I don't remember by ODS acting alot like this.  Younger DS is very particular at times especially when it comes to touching him.  He does not like anyone to touch him unless he goes to you or asks you to.  He will really freak out.  And that goes with touching anything he is in as well.  Last week I went to the store with both boys and YDS started freaking out in his stroller because ODS was touching it and trying to push him.  Sometimes he is okay but other times it a big deal to him.

Then comes yesterday we were at a friend's birthday party (her 2 yr olds b-day party).  There were about 2 other kids there besides the birthday boy and YDS was pretty anti-social.  He wouldn't play with the kids.  He went into the boy's room and played and when the kids would go in there YDS would go out to the living room.  He knows my friend's son really well and they play great together.  Its like it was too much stimulation for him.   YDS had a hard time last weekend when we went to a park and it was really crowded.  It took YDS like 10 min to play and we had to be close and kind of play with him.  He is fine when friends come to our house and can play with them and he loves playing with his big brother.  But I don't know why its different for him other places.  He can play at a friend's house with them but only if its the friends not more kids.  

Is this normal?  I am staying at home with him right now but I try to do some playdates but its usually just him and me in the mornings and his brother too in the afternoons.  

Also forgot to say when he has trantrums he will hit his head against walls and stuff and screams more because it hurts.  He used to do that when we has smaller but I thought he grew out of it and now he is doing it again.  I'm at a loss what to do.

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 3:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
misslady80013
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 3:46 PM
Wow! I don't want to scare you but take him to see a professional. My first guess would be maybe someone touched him but since you at home with him. Maybe he needs some attention and is feeling let out with the new baby coming. Or he could just be a shy person. See the doctor and find out what it is so you can resolve it or deal with it correctly. I hope it gets better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
seaturtle1
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 3:55 PM

This sounds just like my friends son.  He has what they call sensory disorder.  I do not know much about it but it sounds just like what my friend talks about.  Med's and therapy can help if he has it.  Good luck momma.

5BMom
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:49 PM
Sounds like it could be sensory processing disorder... My daughter has it mildly. You need to get an evaluation from an OT...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JCC31
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 10:34 AM

You definitely should keep a "log " or "diary" of his milestones and all of these "issues"....I am also in the group of Autism and Aspergers and other disorders on here....you should also consult this post on there and they will have some more insight. All of these issues aren't necessarily "normal", so seeing your pediatrician first for an evaluation and have them get you an appointment for your concerns...could be high functioning autism, aspergers or sensory processing issues. But, most important is that you recognize he has difficulty in these areas and it will help until he is evaluated to keep track of these issues and write them down so you can be more aware of when it is happening and how he reacts. The doctor will want to know these things. I would def. get him tested or evaluated while he is young..early intervention is the key. Good luck and I hope you check out the Autism group on here and hope to hear and update. (hugs)

caro100
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 10:42 AM
sounds like he could have mild case of autism, you need to get him evaluated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blessedmommie07
by Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 11:54 AM

YDS can be shy but it seems more than just being shy.  And my ODS see's his bio dad once a month and YDS gets tons of attention then.  

Thank you everyone.  I wasn't sure if he was too young to be concerned or try and get him tested for anything.  My ODS sees a child therapst for his ADD/ADHD so I might ask her first on what I should do for YDS.  Thanks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)