Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Give me the dirty lowdown on a 19 hr road trip w/ kids.

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:29 PM
  • 11 Replies
So hubby wants us all to go to Florida in May. I'm excited because I've never seen the ocean or travelled very far. But I have my reservations, the biggest one?

Being stuck in a car for 19ish hours with my 4 yr old and then 2yr old. We plan to drive through the night

Any tips on the trip or Florida?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MakisMama
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:30 PM
Night driving would be my suggestion. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katiebug840204
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:32 PM
Bring stuff for them to play with incase they don't sleep! U might think you will be driving straight through but you probably won't be! Stop and rest every few hours if u can wait that long. When we travel with my kids we have to stop every 2 hours at least for potty brakes! Being snacks too!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FourSpAcesLeFt
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:34 PM
Take coloring books & colored pencils. Crayons will probably melt. My dd had leapfrog toys that we take on road trips, we also rent movies on the iPad for her to watch. Bring her baby doll & let her pack her own little bag of small toys she wants to bring. She's almost 3, has been a great traveler her whole life though. We've driven from fl to Ohio multiple times. Also from sc to fl, then 2 days later from fl to tn & then 2 more days later back to fl.

Also make sure to bring plenty of snacks & water/juice. And be prepared to stop often if you're potty training or trained :)

Good luck, totally do-able ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyplan
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

My Husband and I took the kids to Disney World this summer. We have a 10,3, and 1 1/2 year old. Really it was not that bad. We left at 7 pm, so  most of the trip was at night. The worst part was the Super Hot Disney Park. Not the best choice on our part. Good Luck!

Can you potty train your toddler by noon tomorrow?

Yes You Can! 

mandiNthomas
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:35 PM
We went to gulf shores with kids ages 5 ,3 ,1, 13 and my mom and df and me... played dvds in the expedition all day lots of pit stops snacks it would have taken only 12 hours to drive but it ended up being 15 hours with all the stops.. but it was not a bad trip at all... kids did surprisingly well...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CayShek
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:36 PM
If you don't have one a portable dvd player will be very nice!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsary
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:37 PM

i had an infant and toddler and drove 800 to 900 mile trips with them all the time... my advice is... while they are asleep DON"T STOP. I clocked in the most miles while they slept. everytime we stopped I would get gas just in case they fell asleep again!

Gabeys_Mommy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:38 PM
We thought of doing Disney but I think we are going to wait. Our youngest will turn 2 while we are there. My kids are often whiney on 2 to 3 hr trips but have gotten better with a van with Dvd players. Thanks for the tips so far! :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caro100
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:51 PM
We did this! Start out at 10 pm or later, don't let kids sleep before. They will sleep in their carseats, bring blankets to put over them. After sun up plan on stopping every 11/2- 2 hours to let kids out and play, this will be hard for Daddy who wants to get down there quickly. depending on where you go drive all day or stop once in motel. Insist on way back stopping. Don't know which part you're going to so can't tell you about attractions. portable dvd player are nice too. Have fun
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
motherofjb
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:55 PM
We drove 2,867 miles with a then 15 month. We started early(5am) when she was happy and she would nurse at a pit stop, take a nap and we would stop around (4). Eat an early dinner and hit the road till 7ish. We kept to HER schedule for eating and sleeping so she was happy. It honestly wasn't a bad 5 days LOL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)