Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I think my 4 year old has a UTI... Update

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:50 PM
  • 34 Replies
She's been running a high, but controllable fever since yesterday with very mild congestion and cough. Tonight, around 7pm, she started refusing to pee, crying that it hurts. Urgent care is closing soon; we don't have time to get there, and my copay for ER is $300. I plan on getting her a dr's appointment in the morning, but until then is there anything I can do?

*** So she does have a UTI. Can I just say its really annoying to collect a sample at home (in a sterile cup with the office's collection kit) and be told you can't use it because no one told you to refrigerate it? We ended up spending 2 hours in the office waiting for her to be able to pee again, since I live far enough away to make it inconvenient to drive back with a sample.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsJenL
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:51 PM

bump... wish I knew.

MamaBear2cubs
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Keep her hydrated and control her temp. As long as it is just till tomorrow I wouldn't be too concerned unless her symptoms change.

BaileynMe
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:07 PM
Thanks... We're definitely keeping an eye on her. I'm really hoping not to have to make a midnight ER run. :-(

Quoting MamaBear2cubs:

Keep her hydrated and control her temp. As long as it is just till tomorrow I wouldn't be too concerned unless her symptoms change.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Lots of water and if you have any Cran juice(not watered down).  Hopefully she doesnt have one.  I have heard they can be very painful.

BaileynMe
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:45 PM
Yeah, me too. I've been fortunate enough never to have had one. She won't drink cran juice, unfortunately; she's got some eating issues. :-(

Quoting frndlyfn:

Lots of water and if you have any Cran juice(not watered down).  Hopefully she doesnt have one.  I have heard they can be very painful.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kbank67
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:47 PM

i hope she is okay :( id give her tylenol and sit her on the toilet when shes kind of out of it. i know its bad but at least she wouldnt think of it.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Keep up the water then.   I wonder if any other fruit juices could help her.

BaileynMe
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 12:09 AM
I dunno. She does drink water pretty well as long as it's in her water bottle; with me being pregnant with baby #2 she pretends it's her baby bottle, silly thing.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Keep up the water then.   I wonder if any other fruit juices could help her.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aidyns_mommy
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Warm bath! Like just sitting for however long she wants in it. The uti sensation of having to go when you dont and the pain when you do subside during a warm bath. Honestly I know its gross but you can wash her if she has to pee while she's in there let her. Best advice id ever been given for a uti when I was pregnant. Lots of fluids and tlc!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BaileynMe
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 12:14 AM
I thought baths were discouraged with UTI's?

And yeah, she's definitely getting TLC. :-) She's getting to sleep on the floor at the foot of my bed.

Quoting aidyns_mommy:

Warm bath! Like just sitting for however long she wants in it. The uti sensation of having to go when you dont and the pain when you do subside during a warm bath. Honestly I know its gross but you can wash her if she has to pee while she's in there let her. Best advice id ever been given for a uti when I was pregnant. Lots of fluids and tlc!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)