Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm sleep deprived-- is this 'normal' at almost 3?!?

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 8:37 AM
  • 14 Replies
Hi,
I have been having this issue with my son for a bit now. my son comes into our room EVERY time he wakes up at night. (Which is about 3-4 times a night) I was thinking it was normal as he is really social and loves to be around people especially daddy and I. I also thought maybe he's scared of the dark because I remember being terrified of the dark when I was really little-- even though I shared a room with my sister. I've asked him what is it that makes him scared and.he says I just don't want you to leave mommy-- daddy can leave but I can't. He will be 3 in may-- his cousin who is about 9 months older seeps great the whole night no issues. As do almost all of our friends kids. I feel like I'm the only one having this issue. It wasnt bad at first just let him sleep with us and then it was so constant I thought crap am i conditioning him or something. So now every time he comes in I take him back to his room, get him comfy, and try to leave... but that's the other thing-- he freaks when I leave, or his dad but I am the person who usually does it. Its getting to a horrible point where I lay down on the floor to make him feel better and fall asleep for a few hours. But my back can't do it! I keep telling my hubby this isn't 'normal' is it?-- all my friends kids sleep all through the night without that much consoling. I don't by any means want to baby him or whatever you'd call it-- nor do I want to expect to much of him if its age appropriate or whatever. Just needing some advice. Husbands a welder works 12 hr days and is up by 430 we gotta get some decent sleep!
PS the night routine is same every night- well usually unless we are not at home on the weekend or whatever-
Dinner, short toy time, bath, PJ's, teeth, lay down and watch 10 minutes of a movie- always kid appropriate usually classic cartoons or Mary Poppins, then I read a book with all sorts of old fairy tales in it and he falls asleep before I'm ever even done with one.
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 8:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LancesMom
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2012 at 12:48 PM

All you can do is take him back to bed, tell him he has to sleep in his own room. I would also check for noises in the house neighborhood etc that is waking him up. Is he napping? I would get rid of them too? Maybe he is not tired enough to remain asleep. Good luck!

atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Feb. 24, 2012 at 12:56 PM

I would go nuts.  My oldest spent through 6 hours first night home. Sleeping 8 hours at 6 weeks old. 

2nd didn't sleep 8 hours till 5 months old and I was going bonkers.  I can't imagine at 3 years old.  What do you do when they wake up?  Whenever mine did I refused to pick them up and cuddle them.  I would soothe them with a quick hug and that it was night time and left the room again. 

At 3 it very well may be a habit if this has been going on night after night for 3 years.  FYI, I never slept with my kids or laid down with them.  Even our nighttime reading was on the couch.  The knew beds were for sleeping. 

bsbigmomma
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 4:40 PM
He would fall asleep really easy as a baby really I would breastfeed burp and lay him down by that time he was usually on his way out and I put soft music on and left and if he woke up it would be only 1 but did usually sleep through-- for the first year we were at a different house his room was closer, now its down a hall past our living room. And He never did until this house with his new big boy bed about january 2011 is when it really started.
But he could because he was in a crib and couldn't get out and I'd go in and give him a hug and cover him back up and that's all it seemed to take its been going on since he was about 20 months we switched the bed Cuz he was trying(and succeeding) getting out of it at that point. Now its all the time and he does nap but never more than 1-1/2 if that. I know its rediculous I sleep on the floor granted its not every night and he knows beds are for sleeping but I do watch others 3 days a week and they all sleep on mats on the floor at naptime.
caro100
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 9:19 PM
Its because he can get out of bed. Turn on soft music and get a nightlight. Try possibly to lock your door to see if he will go back to bed. Not sure that will work, you can call through the door and tell him to go back to bed, its not time to get up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaFruFru
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2012 at 9:50 PM
huggs momma, i went through hell for three yeas wirth my middle ds. Hes now three and a half, and has gone three months with only a few wakings. You just have to be consistant. First thing we did was implement a one waking rule. Hed wake once wed walk him back, huggs kisses cover ups, after that one wed walk him to his soor, no hugs/kisses, after that we walked him to the living room.. And so forth. After two weeks, we stoped going into his room.. Then two weeks later we stopped going further than living room.
also we made living room a safe zone. If they are scared of their room they can bring pillows/blankeys out ans sleep on couches, but not allowed in our room. And we wont come pamper them, unless its a nightmare/sickness
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2012 at 10:05 PM

If it were me...I wouldn't get out of bed.  Tell him he can go sleep in his own bed or he can sleep on your floor.  As long as he has the power to make you get up out of bed, he's going to want to exercise it.

piwife
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 10:56 PM
My 5 yr still wake up at night. so does my 3 yr old
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BaileynMe
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 11:00 PM
Dd wakes up during the night. Instead of letting her sleep in my bed, she is allowed to sleep with a blanket and pillow on the floor at the foot of the bed. I'm trying to get her back in her bed all night (long story as to why she's not) but it's a slow process. She's 4.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bbmkfo03
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 11:17 PM

I would ditch the TV right before bed. Even just 10 minutes can stimulate the brain and keep kids up preventing a good nights sleep. Does he sleep with nightlights or music? My DD can't sleep unless her music is on and her 3 nightlights.

bsbigmomma
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 11:52 PM
Thank you all for the tips and help we are gonna try :-) I never even thought about the TV but that's a great point he has 3 night lights as well thanks so much!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured