• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WWYD? *job related* UPDATE

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:33 AM
  • 6 Replies
Had to repost this because for some reason I couldn't edit my original post... Now I'm REALLY confused. Just logged into my unemployment and found out that my unemployment has actually been reapproved... Now I don't know at all what I should do. My heart wants to continue being a sahm. I have a 4 year old and 8 week old. I missed alllllll of my 4 year olds baby stage because I went back to work at 4 weeks with him. I think it would break my heart to lose that again. My unemployment is $800 a month. It's not a lot but we don't have high bills or live beyond our means so not even all of the $800 is used for necessity. If I take either job I will lose my unemployment permanently... God why is this so hard!?

ORIGINAL POST: Ok, I've been a SAHM for a year now. I was receiving unemployment due to being displaced by the army. My unemployment just ran out on February 21 and I am going back to work. I have two job offers. One is 4 days a week, I pick them, 10 hours a day and the pay is $13 per hour and is 15 miles from my house. The other is 5 days per week, 6 1/2 hours each day, but the pay is only $9 and is 35 miles from my house. Now with commute and childcare with the second job, I'd be looking at barely breaking even with what I made in unemployment. It SEEMS like the best conclusion is to go with the higher paying job, BUT, at what cost? The $13 ph job is at a call center, and I HATE that kind of work. The $9 ph is at a bridal salon. I have worked as a bridal consultant once before and it is the absolute HAPPIEST I have ever been at a job. The higher pay could really get our family to a better place, but I'm worried about my happiness because I know it would eventually affect my family in a negative way. The bridal salon wants me to start Friday March 9th and the call center wants me to start Monday March 19. Would it be wrong to work at the bridal salon for a few days to "feel it out", or do I need to turn down one job up front in order to take the other? I am sooooooo torn and I just don't know what to do :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Mrs_Incredible
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Will you bring home more than $800 per month while working at the call center after daycare expenses? If so, take the job and continue lookingfor something better, at least you'll have more money than the unemployment. If you make about the same after childcare as your unemployment, I would stay on it until you can find something better. Good luck.

SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Quoting Mrs_Incredible:

Will you bring home more than $800 per month while working at the call center after daycare expenses? If so, take the job and continue looking for something better, at least you'll have more money than the unemployment. If you make about the same after childcare as your unemployment, I would stay on it until you can find something better. Good luck.

I had the same exact thing happen to me a few years ago. Take the uemployment while you can and continue to look for what you want.

nuts4scouts
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:28 AM
1 mom liked this

You do realize if you lie to unemployment about being offered a job(s), and/or about looking for work, they could have you REPAY any and ALL monies you have received from them.

The government is NOT paying you to be a SAHM. They are paying you to help out with your bills until you find a job.

If you want to be a SAHM, then do it legally. Stop your unemployment and stay home with your children.

Mrs_Incredible
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:03 AM

If your employment is not equal or better than your previous rate of pay, you are allowed to turn the job down (this may be untrue, but it's what a social worker told me once - I've never been on unemployment, so I don't know the validity, but that's what I've been told) 

Quoting nuts4scouts:

You do realize if you lie to unemployment about being offered a job(s), and/or about looking for work, they could have you REPAY any and ALL monies you have received from them.

The government is NOT paying you to be a SAHM. They are paying you to help out with your bills until you find a job.

If you want to be a SAHM, then do it legally. Stop your unemployment and stay home with your children.

Orionsgirl
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:47 PM

stay home with your babies while you can

Coffee247Needed
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:42 PM

It is true that you do not have to accept a job that is lower paying than your previous while you are on unemployment, you are entitled to the same pay before you are required to accept. I have accepted jobs that I thought I could live with because they would be a great pay rate and I would just "get used to" the work that I didn't really like. I never did get used to it and I was miserable and usually ended up quitting. Not Ideal! Take the job that you are happy with. and 6 1/2 hours a day is not much, I am working 8 plus a 45 min drive to work and another 45 back. It's a lot of time away from my child. At least you have the option to do something you love. And I recommend doing it. At least then the time away from your kids isn't wasted doing something you hate. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)