Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My daughter is scared of the dark... or something... ?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:23 PM
  • 5 Replies

So, my daughter has decided within the last month that she is scared of the dark, or something that she thinks is there.. I am not sure what it is exactly that is bothering her, she is only 2, and like I said, this has all started recently... Here is what happens : When I lay her down for bed, she cries, tells me to keep her safe, to lay with her, that she wants to lay in my bed... IF i put her in bed with me, she snuggles so close to me, and has me wrap my arms around her. IF I make her stay in her bed, she will cry, and cry and cry, telling me to "Keep her safe". Same thing happens when she wakes up in the middle of the night to use the potty (She has been potty trained for almost a year), when I take her to the bathroom, she uses the potty, and then tells me "I wanna go sit on the couch", no matter of the time or how tired she is, she DOES NOT want to go back to her bed... I am so confused by this... If I take her to the couch, she will lay there and go right back to sleep... I asked her this morning, why she dosen't like sleeping in her bed, and she said "It's dark in there"... Any suggestions as to what I can do to help her, or get her to feel better? Should I just let her sleep on the couch until she gets past this phase? I am lost!!!

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
BaileynMe
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this
How about a nightlight? Or a flashlight?

DD, who is 4, has within the last few months started telling us there are monsters in her room. Most of the time we can convince her otherwise, but sometimes she ends up on our floor, on a blanket, to sleep.

It won't last forever mama. My advice? Cherish the extra snuggles and have patience when helping her overcome these fears. A little extra light might help, or maybe some music or white noise (like a fan) would be soothing. I wouldn't let her keep sleeping on the couch, or you'll end up with a bad habit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmandaJo1980
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Quoting BaileynMe:

How about a nightlight? Or a flashlight?

DD, who is 4, has within the last few months started telling us there are monsters in her room. Most of the time we can convince her otherwise, but sometimes she ends up on our floor, on a blanket, to sleep.

It won't last forever mama. My advice? Cherish the extra snuggles and have patience when helping her overcome these fears. A little extra light might help, or maybe some music or white noise (like a fan) would be soothing. I wouldn't let her keep sleeping on the couch, or you'll end up with a bad habit.

:) I forgot to mention... In our room, there is a CD of classical music playing (have done that since she was born), a large scentsy warmer on, so there is light from that, and I started leaving the bathroom light on as well...

justbrittanyb
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:32 PM
i would say try a night light or a flash light next to her bed. does she think there are monsters? maybe put some lavender febreeze in a little bottle and write "monster be gone" or something on it, tell her it keeps the bad things away and spray it before she goes to bed, the lavender scent should help calm her so she can sleep
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs_Incredible
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Monster spray and a flash light! It's perfectly normal for kids to be scared of the dark. I would leave a hall light on or a night light for her.

amonkeymom
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Very normal for kiddos to develop a fear of the dark around that age.  Usually a nightlight or flashlight (or maybe one of those pillow pet things with the light in it) will be helpful.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)