• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My father in law committed suicide

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:14 PM
  • 49 Replies
My father in law committed suicide yesterday. He shot himself in the head while he was home by himself. I've told my 8 year old and 6 year old what happened and tried to explain it to them as best I can. We're at my mother in law's house now. I don't know really what to expect or how to help my kids deal with this. They loved their grandpa. Has anyone been through something like this?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MarShy740
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:17 PM
No I'm sorry for your loss
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs_Incredible
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:18 PM
5 moms liked this

:( No. I'm sorry. I would leave out as many of the graphic details as possible, just that he died. I wouldn't tell them he killed himself if you haven't already. That could really confuse them. 

BaileynMe
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:19 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss mama. You and yours are in my prayers. I've never had to deal with a family member committing suicide, tho in high school the mother of one of my best friends did.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
offrdngal
by Terri on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:34 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. I wish I had some advice to give, but I've never been in this situation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momma786
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:46 PM

:( im sorry, sending thoughts &  prayers your way. i would also have a difficult time  explaining this to my kids . just tell them to come to you with any questions they have, so they dont have wrond idea and/or assumptions of the said situation.

hugs.

saeshine
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:10 PM

im sorry

5BMom
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:11 PM
I am very sorry for loss. There are many many books out there on loss for kids that may help them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Quoting offrdngal:

I am so sorry for your loss. I wish I had some advice to give, but I've never been in this situation.

carmndomsmom
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:14 PM

I'm so sorry. Your family is in my prayers

mama2allblue
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this

My ex's dad committed suicide when my oldest was about 5. I told him as few details as possible and kept him away from family chatter. He had a lot of questions I just told him what I believe about death, etc. He had several dreams about him and then he seemed to move on. I am sorry for your and your family's loss.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)